Emby Will not Tune Last ATSC 3.0 Channel

wesmckean

wesmckean

here in Atlanta, we have 5 ATSC 3.0 channels on one tower.  When tuning to the last ATSC 3.0 channel, it just spins, and the server doesn't acknowledge it nor does the HDHomerun tuner.  I conducted the same test on Roku stick and Roku Ultra.  Same result.  I tested the Samsung app and the Google TV app, and they work fine.

It might be the AC4 audio stream included with those broadcasts throwing a loop.

When you tune to the other ATSC 3.0 channels with your Roku can you enable stats for nerds and show us what you see with a screenshot/picture or what text shows up?

The Roku cannot Direct Play live broadcasts containing TS streams within Emby and keep a buffer of what has elapsed. In other words you wouldn't be able to replay or go back. You would also not be able to pause. You will pause and it will immediately unpause. Because the Roku cannot create a Live TV buffer unless this is a RokuTV. The RokuTV can only create a buffer when using OTA Live TV and only when it has a properly formatted and sized USB thumbdrive placed into the USB port on their RokuTV. This means it is undesirable to Direct Play live broadcasts of TS streams on the Roku when using the Emby app.

We have to repackage the TS stream into an M3U8 playlist. Then that playlist is sent to the Roku which will then request each slice of the stream as it ingests them.

Are there any ffmpeg logs created for the file that does not play? The ffmpeg log for that file would show the problem possibly. If it actually starts to process the file and moves along then ffmpeg is not the issue. The Roku probably cannot understand how to render something inside the playlist. Seeing the ffmpeg log would help know what that is.

If you could provide the ffmpeg logs and a picture of that stats for nerds for those channels that do play it would be a big help. Thanks.

Edited by speechles

wesmckean

I was able to run WSB, Fox 5, and 11 Alive.  Peachtree TV and CBS would not tune.   Here is the picture from WSB.  No ffmpeg files are being created.  The status of the tuner on the HDHomerun shows as "not in use".

PXL_20230503_170900742.jpg

If the tuner isn't shown in use it is definitely FFMPEG having an issue ingesting the stream.

When you play that channel on other clients are they Direct Playing? That might be the difference.

wesmckean

found this in the HDHomerun log:

20230503-17:20:52 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 146.1 WANF (atsc3:575MHz-7)
20230503-17:20:57 HTTP: rejecting request from 192.168.1.67 - protected channel
20230503-17:20:57 Tuner: tuner0 http stream ended (unknown reason)
  • Sad 1

wesmckean

makes me wonder if they are encrypting the channels now or something.  That will be disappointing.

58 minutes ago, wesmckean said:

makes me wonder if they are encrypting the channels now or something.  That will be disappointing.

Yep, that sounds like exactly what is happening. 

wesmckean

I did a channel scan and at the bottom it clearly shows the last two ATSC 3 channels as having DRM.  That ends the ATSC 3 experiment for me.