DSM 7.2 Upgrade

Brecon

Brecon

Hi folks hope you can help. Just yesterday I upgraded my Synology 918+ to the new 7.2 firmware. Everything appeared to go well until I realised that Emby was no longer running and recognised. Prior to the update I was on the latest DSM 7.1 and the latest Emby Beta. Since then I have tried every Emby spk version mentioned on the forum to see if i could get it back, but now have exhausted all avenues that I can think of. I am not a savay, but really miss my Emby. I was reading somewhere that beta firmwares have been causing issues and that deleting Library.db (or all files) might get me back on track. My other worry is i have a premium lifetime membership and would not like to loose that. I have been looking at SSH from my computer but it was getting a bit heavy for me to fully understand. Will there be a new software coming out soon that once you start to install will recognise and ask if you want to delete your old software first. Im really clutching at straws here at best when I start Emby it runs for about 15-20 seconds then says manual shut down. Please can anyone help.

Gizmo

I'm in a different boat.  I have Emby Beta installed and would like to upgrade to 7.2 but I'm holding off till everything gets shaken out.  I would like to know if there is going to be. a version of Emby that will install in 7.1 allows me to upgrade to 7.2.  I'm not in a big hurry since Emby is ruinng great on 7.1

DarWun
4 hours ago, Brecon said:

Hi folks hope you can help. Just yesterday I upgraded my Synology 918+ to the new 7.2 firmware. Everything appeared to go well until I realised that Emby was no longer running and recognised. Prior to the update I was on the latest DSM 7.1 and the latest Emby Beta. Since then I have tried every Emby spk version mentioned on the forum to see if i could get it back, but now have exhausted all avenues that I can think of. I am not a savay, but really miss my Emby. I was reading somewhere that beta firmwares have been causing issues and that deleting Library.db (or all files) might get me back on track. My other worry is i have a premium lifetime membership and would not like to loose that. I have been looking at SSH from my computer but it was getting a bit heavy for me to fully understand. Will there be a new software coming out soon that once you start to install will recognise and ask if you want to delete your old software first. Im really clutching at straws here at best when I start Emby it runs for about 15-20 seconds then says manual shut down. Please can anyone help.

@BreconI updated to DSM 7.2 on my Synology 918+ over the weekend. Prior to the update, I was running the latest beta version of Emby. As you have found, after DSM finished updating Emby would no longer load. From the NAS Package Center you need to manually install the 7.2 version of the Emby beta to get it running again. The package required to install Emby beta 4.8.0.34 on a DS918+ running DSM 7.2 is emby-server-synology72_4.8.0.34_x86_64.spk. It will overwrite the 7.1 version...no need to uninstall it first.

After installing the 7.2 package, everything should be back to normal for you. 

Edited to add: I just read the other thread where you posted that you already tried the 7.2 package and it didn't install. I'm not sure why that would be unfortunately. Sorry for being unable to help.

Edited by DarWun

• 3 weeks later...
FrostByte

Just got done installing the final release of DSM 7.2 which was released today.

As expected Emby beta server would not start after the DSM update, but I installed the latest Emby beta for DSM 7.2 and all is good.

As an added bonus my DS1821+ was one of the few added to the compatibility list of devices that can now use M2 drives as regular volumes under DSM 7.2.  Thanks to @Carlofor his great hack, but I'll no longer need it other than the parts on what files to place on the new volume.

• Like 2

We'll get the website updated with links to DSM 7.2 builds. We also have builds in review with Synology for publishing in Package Center, so we'll see how long that takes. 

Thanks guys.

• Like 4

kaj
21 hours ago, FrostByte said:

As an added bonus my DS1821+ was one of the few added to the compatibility list of devices that can now use M2 drives as regular volumes under DSM 7.2. 

Great to hear. Where is the list of compatible models? 

Thanks

It's only newer 21, 22 & 23 models with built in support in DSM 7.2.

Clearly any model that supports M.2 SSDs can be used for storage pools using the CMD line.
Not sure why they didn't make the change for all models in the GUI.

Banquero

Perdonad, pero no termino de entenderlo...Yo tengo un DS1821, que aún no ha actualizado a DSM 7.2..Actualmente tengo 7.1.1, con Emby Server 4.0.8.37..Va todo perfecto..Cuando actualice a DSM 7.2, y de nuevo actualice Emby Server Beta para DSM 7.2, todo funcionará correctamente? Todas mis librerias y configuraciones, migrarán sin ningún problema? Muchas Gracias...

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Banquero said:

Perdonad, pero no termino de entenderlo...Yo tengo un DS1821, que aún no ha actualizado a DSM 7.2..Actualmente tengo 7.1.1, con Emby Server 4.0.8.37..Va todo perfecto..Cuando actualice a DSM 7.2, y de nuevo actualice Emby Server Beta para DSM 7.2, todo funcionará correctamente? Todas mis librerias y configuraciones, migrarán sin ningún problema? Muchas Gracias...

Yes, everything will work after upgrading.  No special migration steps required.

1. Install Synology DSM 7.2 upgrade.  After the upgrade it will say your version of Emby server is incompatible with DSM 7.2
  2. Install Emby Server 4.8.0.37 compiled for DSM 7.2+
  3. All is good.

There is already a new link to the 7.2 builds so just get it from the normal download link.

https://emby.media/download.html

The only reason kaj had to do something special for his NAS is because he used a hack to convert his M2 drives on his DS918+ to be used as normal volumes.  If you never did that hack then there is nothing else you need to do.  Since you have a DS1821+ you can now use the GUI to convert your M2 drives (if you have them) and want to do that after upgrading to DSM 7.2.  No hack required.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

kojacky

I also facing issue after update from DSM 7.1 to DSM 7.2-64561 on my DS1821+

the original package should be 4.7.10 or older version on 7.1, after upgrade to 7.2 failure to start.

after searching solution in this forum, i manual install 4.8.0.3X version, everything seem to be good until the plugin autoupdate then embyserver restart failure, and manual start without success.

after further try on uninstall and reinstall different version, i found out.

1. complete uninstall any version on the machine first.

2. then install emby 4.7.11 version, i am not able to start the service yet.

3. don't uninstall emby 4.7.11 and manual install 4.8.0.3X version, it will update to 4.8.0.3X, now you can access the service now.

4. on the plugin tab on emby setting, uninstall the MovieDB plugin and restart the service. i am now able to use it stable.

i think there are still some issue on moviedb plugin, i will just wait if there is any version update to solve the issue.

4 hours ago, kojacky said:

I also facing issue after update from DSM 7.1 to DSM 7.2-64561 on my DS1821+

the original package should be 4.7.10 or older version on 7.1, after upgrade to 7.2 failure to start.

after searching solution in this forum, i manual install 4.8.0.3X version, everything seem to be good until the plugin autoupdate then embyserver restart failure, and manual start without success.

after further try on uninstall and reinstall different version, i found out.

1. complete uninstall any version on the machine first.

2. then install emby 4.7.11 version, i am not able to start the service yet.

3. don't uninstall emby 4.7.11 and manual install 4.8.0.3X version, it will update to 4.8.0.3X, now you can access the service now.

4. on the plugin tab on emby setting, uninstall the MovieDB plugin and restart the service. i am now able to use it stable.

i think there are still some issue on moviedb plugin, i will just wait if there is any version update to solve the issue.

Hi, please see the red banner at the top of the forum for instructions on how to proceed. I think you may have been impacted by this issue. Thanks.