Help with ffmpeg and bitrate setting being ignored

HawkXP71

HawkXP71

For newly ripped files using MakeMKV I often find the bitrate will require transcoding.  Im not worried about harddrive space, as much as reducing the load on the server.  Whether Im remote and have a good but not LAN quality connection, or on mobile where 4k streaming to a 4 inch screen seems like overkill, I wanted to store a transcoded version of the file.

For instance, if I have in this case a 1080p that is reporting 14Mbps (via stats for nerds, or from the Media Info section of the media page) I may want to knock that down to 10Mbps and store a second file on the harddrive.

the ffmpeg command I am using for this is as follows.  The goal is to copy all audio streams, all subtitle streams, and all chapters.  For video use the nvidia GPU for decoding and encoding, and limit the bitrate to 10Mpps. 

The command line I use is:
ffmpeg.exe -hide_banner -y -fflags +genpts -hwaccel cuda -hwaccel_output_format cuda -i "1080p.mkv" -map_metadata 0 -map_chapters 0 -map 0:v? -c:v hevc_nvenc -map 0:a? -c:a copy -b:v 10000k -maxrate 11000k -map 0:s? -c:s copy -f matroska "1080p 10Mbps.mkv"

any help would be most appreciated.

TIA hawk

Edited by HawkXP71

HawkXP71
17 minutes ago, Luke said:

How does it compare when using libx265?

besides being about 10x slower, the results are the same.  Same with using the intel/qsv encoder.

Im not thinking it has to be exactly 10Mbps, but it shouldnt get worse than the input...