Cover art request

exus

exus

I've been using emby for years but I just recently installed coverart.

I'd like to use it to highlight only 4k movies but inside the specific covers section if I add SD/HD Movies there's no "ignore" option under "Should use this cover".
Is there another way to ignore everything except 4k movies?

The only way I found is to create a dedicated library for 4k content and exclude the other directories on coverart but this leads to duplicates (4k+1080p version) on "continue watching" section. 

and another question: Is there any plan to add more customization to this plugin? I'd like to change cover colors, and see 4k/bluray/sd info on thumbs (I can only change treatment style for thumbs but there're no other indicators)

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, exus said:

I'd like to use it to highlight only 4k movies but inside the specific covers section if I add SD/HD Movies there's no "ignore" option under "Should use this cover".
Is there another way to ignore everything except 4k movies?

Just delete SD/HD (and/or other entries), leave UHD treatment only. 

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, exus said:

and another question: Is there any plan to add more customization to this plugin? I'd like to change cover colors, and see 4k/bluray/sd info on thumbs (I can only change treatment style for thumbs but there're no other indicators)

You might follow this topic (and grab some nice overlays while you're there):

exus
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Just delete SD/HD (and/or other entries), leave UHD treatment only. 

If I just put UHD under specific cover I still see non UHD covers

coverart.png

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, exus said:

If I just put UHD under specific cover I still see non UHD covers

coverart.png

Those are cached images, clear browser cache and delete existing images in install-dir\programdata\cache\images\enhanced-images or do some action that'll trigger refresh/rebuild CA treatment, like assigning an overlay. 

exus

I cleared browser cache and deleted everything inside enhanced-images folder but the plugin recreated all the images (UHD and non UHD)

GrimReaper

You are right, HD items get treatment regardless. Was sure they wouldn't. Maybe disable treatment and use only custom indicator overlay for 4K?

Edit: In Indicator Overlays tab, Media Info section, enable Resolution only; in your custom overlays folder have only hdtype_UHD image present. 

Edited by GrimReaper

exus

I was thinking about using custom overlay but I'm not sure if I can reach the same result in term of positioning/size of the 4k "banner". Some sort of Ignore under Specific Covers would have been much better 😀

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
Just now, exus said:

Some sort of Ignore under Specific Covers would have been much better

Yep, one more thing to add to the list of (hopefully) potential improvements. 

1 minute ago, exus said:

I was thinking about using custom overlay but I'm not sure if I can reach the same result in term of positioning/size of the 4k "banner"

Can't, it'd be in either left or right corner. 

• Agree 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:21 PM, exus said:

The only way I found is to create a dedicated library for 4k content and exclude the other directories on coverart but this leads to duplicates (4k+1080p version) on "continue watching" section. 

Hi.  You wouldn't have to create a separate library - just separate folders for the 4k content and then use manual merging for multiple versions if you need that.  Then you create a Profile in CA that points to only your 4K folder and leave the default as ignore.

exus
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You wouldn't have to create a separate library - just separate folders for the 4k content and then use manual merging for multiple versions if you need that.  Then you create a Profile in CA that points to only your 4K folder and leave the default as ignore.

I completely forgot that I can add multiple folders to libraries 😅, I guess this should do the trick, I'll try asap

exus

I just tested but it's not perfectly working, as soon as I merge multiple versions the modified cover for 4k content disappear. Your solution seems to work only if I leave all multiversions unmerged (but navigating the library with tons of duplicates it's quite annoying)

exus

First image: Unmerged movies correctly shown on latest movies (4k shown and everything else ignored)

Second image: duplicate covers due to split folders for multiversion (expected)

Third image: manually merged versions and 4k cover gone (unexpected 😪)

coverartTest2.thumb.png.333f14ca7dc05d05dbdba85d4b5bf977.png

Edited by exus

Did you refresh metadata - replacing images - after merging those?

exus

yes, no changes.

If i click on edit metadata after merging the two versions it's showing the path to the non UHD version. I don't know how coverart or emby choose which version has to shown in library view but it looks like it's picking the "wrong" version in my case and coverart is not showing the covers I want.

Edited by exus

exus
22 hours ago, ebr said:

Did you refresh metadata - replacing images - after merging those?

wrongpickedimage.thumb.png.a0065a86987db80dee7881a7a004c2ff.png

After the merge, as you can see, emby picks the image referring to the item id 1183975 which is the ignored 1080p folder in coverart. I guess that if emby would instead pick the highest resolution item inside the manually merged group of items coverart would then work.

Is this a bug or something that was simply never considered? Am I missing something?

I don't know if this can be fixed or if there's a workaround

This is just something that has never come up before.  CA is designed to provide some uniformity to all your covers so it was not designed to treat only some items in the same realm and not others. 

I would suggest maybe using a "Plain" treatment with indicators for resolution.

exus

ok 😭

One more question, if I change the images (colors/texts) inside \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\coverart\4.1.20.0\MetroCase do I have to expect them to be replaced with the original ones on each plugin updates or some other case?

thank you

16 minutes ago, exus said:

do I have to expect them to be replaced with the original ones on each plugin updates or some other case?

Yes.  Those are not designed to be edited.

• 8 months later...
EmbyDad

It's disappointing that there isn't a solution to this. When movie versions are grouped and treatments are applied to everything 4K labels will show. I didn't think it would be that difficult to isolate only 4K labels to show. Seemed like it was going to be perfect for indicating 4K content in merged libraries with multiple versions. Instead, it only works as I would like if libraries are separate as far as I can tell. Which negates the need for the labels lol.

I just want to be able to quickly see that 4K is available while browsing a merged library in a visually appealing way. That 4K metrocase would fit the bill nicely.

I'm using separate folders for 4K/1080p with those folders added to the same library, one for TV, Movies, etc. Merging versions for TV and using the Auto Version Grouping plugin to combine movie versions. Same result as OP. No combination of profiles, ignore, etc. that I've tried will work.

For TV series labels, the solution posted here only works if using separate libraries and not merging 4K/1080p versions, sigh.

If you could merge libraries into one library that should work but I don't think this functionality exists? Otherwise, I'm stuck with going back to separate libraries. Then there is no functional need for the labels, frustrating,  but the 4K ones do look nice :D

If you could merge libraries into one library that should work but I don't think this functionality exists? Otherwise, I'm stuck with going back to separate libraries. Then there is no functional need for the labels, frustrating,  but the 4K ones do look nice :D

Hi, yes you can by adding two folders to one library.

EmbyDad

Hi, yes I have that setup already, multiple folders, movies, movies4k, etc. in a single library. The problem is the cover art plugin doesn't work as expected when excluding folders and grouping files. Here's an example:

A movies and a movies4k folder in a single Movies library, group the movies and movies4k files, exclude the movies folder from cover art plugin, any item shown that is grouped with a movies file will not show a treatment.

I expected the result would be that treatments would apply to any movies4k file and not apply to movies files. This is true unless they are grouped. If you group a movies file with a movies4k file the single item that is shown is treated as a movies file and does not apply treatments. What's more confusing is if we don't exclude either folder from cover art the treatment shown on the item is that of the highest resolution of the grouped files.

So there seems to be some logic when choosing the treatment on grouped items when there are no excluded folders, but that logic is lost once a folder is excluded.

I just want to be able to show only the 4k treatment on any item that has a version from the movies4k folder. I'd also like to apply this to the series treatment as well since there would be separate folders there too, tv, tv4k in a TV Shows library.

There is a workaround, I think, that is quite tedious and would probably need a script of some kind to make it workable. Use the ca-ignore tag. If any file in the movies folder doesn't have a matching version in the movies4k folder then apply the ca-ignore tag. If it does have a matching version in the movies4k folder do not apply the tag. Same for the series treatment albeit with the specific covers setting "Series items will use the UHD cover".

If the cover art plugin had the opposite of ignore, maybe a ca-force-apply tag it could be easier to automate IDK. Or if the specific covers settings had a "None" option where you could set SD and HD to "None" then I wouldn't have to ignore a folder and break whatever logic there is.

There has to be a way lol

On 1/25/2024 at 7:08 PM, EmbyDad said:

maybe a ca-force-apply tag

Actually there is this. You can tag an item with ca-hd or ca-dvd etc.

EmbyDad

Yeah, I also tried ca-uhd but if grouped and movies folder is ignored it doesn't work. Need opposite of ignore so an item in an ignored folder is not ignored. That's the only way the logic doesn't break as it currently is.