Blurred cover art... Why?

freemansteve

freemansteve

Using Emby on WIn10.

Media player is Cambridge Audio Evo, with control app on Android called StreamMagic.

All music files are in structured folders - Artist->Date-Album_Name->Tracks

Every music file has been carefully groomed using MP3Tag (excellent) to ensure consistent tags, and linked to AlbumArt to get JPG's of the cover art in every case.

Every MP3 track has an embedded 220x220 pixel JPG for cover art, as reduced by MP3tag. Every album folder has a better quality JPG image called "Folder.jpg", typically 1400x1400 pixels.

Problem is that on my control app, all folder artwork is very blurred, but individual tracks show clean artwork. This is different to what I see (correctly) for Universal Media Server, Serviio and Twonky (my RAID/NAS box) - why is Emby different for artwork in folders?

Hi, have you tried another control app for comparison purposes such as bubble upnp?

freemansteve

No. I don't think my Evo will work well without its dedicated Stream magic app. Besides, why is album art in folders perfect in that app from 3 other DLNA servers but not Emby?

freemansteve

Sure. See attached.

Every album folder includes a "folder.jpg" at high res, and every track has embedded artwork at 220x200 pix.

These are samples as shown on my phone using Cambridge Audio StreamMagic.

Emby is the only DLNA server that does this - Serviio, UMS, Twonky, BubbleUPnP all show sharp images.
It may be that Emby is near-uniquely incompatible with my system, but I'm not sure why.

See attachedScreenshot_20230501-193550.thumb.png.0eb857b8dabff629a459fef99e1ae94d.png

freemansteve

Here's what serviio does  on my phone:

Screenshot_20230501-194402.thumb.png.098449516a73380df17e52d5643c3b46.png

Edited by freemansteve

Can you please attach the emby server log from when you did this? Thanks.

8 hours ago, freemansteve said:

OK i don't see any image requests here, which could be due the browsing app you're using having previously cached them. Can you try pulling up something that you haven't browsed yet with that app, and then attach the emby server log? Thanks.

freemansteve

Process:

Emby server set to point to a single album.

StreamMagic app started on Android phone

Selected Emby as source, and navigate to the music folder (pic 1), then to the folder containing the album (pic 2), then navigate to the files on the album (pic 3), then selected a track to play (OK).

Note that every mp3 track has embedded art at 220x220, the folder, "Beatles", containing the album "Abbey Road" includes a file "Folder.jpg" @ 1200x1220, and the fold "Abbey Road" contains a copy of the same cover art as well as the actual mp3 tracks. This is because some servers and clients can utilize an image that covers all the albums of a band, like a general "band picture" so as not to use default artwork images for each band (pic 4 shows what this looks like).

Nothing cached on StreamMagic or the Evo media player - I'm not sure if the logs capture what you need. Please advise.

Thanks
pics.ziphardware_detection-63818705038.txtembyserver-63818705131.txt

Edited by freemansteve

• 2 months later...

@freemansteveare you still seeing this with the latest updates to the Emby Dlna plugin?

If you are, then try putting this url in a browser:

http://192.168.0.100:8096/Items/70377/Images/Primary/0/29042b669c50259741ba3b025c3718c5/jpg/640/480/0/0

How does the result look?

freemansteve

Thanks for kindly replying.

I switched to Serviio which has been 100% in my setup, but I'll look at Emby again and let you know.

• Thanks 1

freemansteve
On 09/07/2023 at 04:30, Luke said:

@freemansteveare you still seeing this with the latest updates to the Emby Dlna plugin?

If you are, then try putting this url in a browser:

http://192.168.0.100:8096/Items/70377/Images/Primary/0/29042b669c50259741ba3b025c3718c5/jpg/640/480/0/0

How does the result look?

I have just tried Emby Server 4.7.13.0 (64b for windows) - I can't find any information on "the Emby Dlna plugin"....

When I enter that URL  into a browser, the browser displays small artwork in new tab.

As far as the virtual folders (Artists, Songs, etc) are concerned, the images are all blurred, as seen in my StreamMagic renderer.

When I select "Folders" (virtual folder) the images for each individual track are fine. Note that each mp3 files has a 220x220 embedded cover art file, but in the same folder as the MP3's, there is also a Folder.jpg file, which, for the album shown happens to be a 1200x1200 JPG.

N.B. the pictures attached are what I see on my Android phone running the Cambridge Audio "StreamMagic" app, which is just the controller for the Cambridge Audio Evo streaming unit/DLNA client. UMS, Serviio and Twonky all show sharp cover art in every case.

Screenshot_20230710-100232.png

Screenshot_20230710-100252.png

What version of the dlna plug-in do you have installed? When you enter that URL in a browser, what size is the image?

freemansteve

How do I find out the version of the DLNA plug-in? It's whatever came with the download for windows 64.... I didn't even know plug-ins were needed!

I'll need to save the cover art image that shows in my PC browser, and check the dimensions if the jpg file - I'll get back to you on that, but I'm guessing it looks about 1200*1200....

Edited by freemansteve

17 minutes ago, freemansteve said:

How do I find out the version of the DLNA plug-in? It's whatever came with the download for windows 64.... I didn't even know plug-ins were needed!

I'll need to save the cover art image that shows in my PC browser, and check the dimensions if the jpg file - I'll get back to you on that, but I'm guessing it looks about 1200*1200....

It's listed in the server plugins section.

freemansteve

DLNA server plug-in is 1.0.91.0

In fact the image size is only 220*220 as viewed in my browser (on the same PC where Emby Server is running, and where the music files are).   This happens to be the same size image that is embedded in all the MP3 files in the containing folder, while the image that is 1200x1200 is in the same folder (Folder.jpg) alongside the MP3 files.

freemansteve

N.B. I have now changed the Folder.jpg file in the album folder (where the MP3's are) to be a different image, distinct from the image embedded in the MP3s, in an attempt to ensure I know whether a given JPG is just being resized or not.  Even though having both embedded images and a separate Folder.jpg file seems like overkill, I have found some DLNA setups will pick one in preference over the other for various display purposes. Plus, I like to keep a high-res copy of the album art, rather than waste space in every MP3 file with a huge embedded file and want an easy way resize the embedded file if necessary (literally a couple of clicks in MP3Tag).

Tremas

Just a thought - to me this looks like the AlbumArtSmall.jpg images that are generated by window media player. My life has been a constant wack-a-mole with these hidden files in my music collection as I have moved to different solutions over the years. They are hidden files by default in the windows file explorer and they are generated automatically by WMP - so they are not easy to notice even when you are being diligent about maintaining your collection. Could that be what you're seeing?

freemansteve

No, I don't believe so - I don't use WMP, and there are are no files (hidden or otherwise), in any 'real' folders on my PC or on my NAS. It is, IMHO, something about how Emby parses and databases or caches information it finds. Or its interaction with the Cambridge Audio app on my phone or on my tablet (called StreamMagic) which may be the proble . The recent pictures I posted are screenshots of that app from my phone.

In any case, the StreamMagic app works fine with Universal Media Server and Serviio servers on my PC, and Twonky (on the NAS), but I'm not minded to quit Emby yet! All these DLNA servers are happy running concurrently.

7 hours ago, freemansteve said:

N.B. I have now changed the Folder.jpg file in the album folder (where the MP3's are) to be a different image, distinct from the image embedded in the MP3s, in an attempt to ensure I know whether a given JPG is just being resized or not. 

OK, can you pull up in the Dlna app, then go back to the server log, get the new image url, put that in a browser, and what do you see?

Every MP3 track has an embedded 220x220 pixel JPG for cover art, as reduced by MP3tag. Every album folder has a better quality JPG image called "Folder.jpg", typically 1400x1400 pixels.

OK, re-reading. I think what's happening is the embedded images are being used. In the library options, what is the music folder structure option set to?

freemansteve

"Perfectly structured", I think. I'll check tomorrow.

But even then, it looks as if Emby has somehow shrunk an embedded 220x220 pic from one of the MP3 files and expanded it again, losing detail, which seems odd, and yet has displayed nice pics (albeit small) for each individual track (see my screenshots)

freemansteve

Sorry, I don't understand the question...

I think I just added single a folder for the current testing (D:\Music - MP3\Favourites\Beatles\1969 Abbey Road,  in this case) in the web-based setup, but don't recall seeing any images.

I'll check tomorrow and reinstall Emby from scratch and see if I can see anything image-wise...