Mark episode as played when start now is clicked

tOLJY

tOLJY

When you're got Up Next turned on, when you get to the end of an episode, it will give you a prompt to immediately play the next episode or to cancel the next episode playing entirely. If you choose to immediately play the next episode, it will, and that works great.

However, it looks like this doesn't do anything for the episode you just played - if it hit your played progress threshold, it will be marked as played. If it didn't, it will not. For episodes that are 10 minutes long, a threshold of 95 isn't enough to consider the previous episode as watched, if you click start now on the next episode right away. Change the threshold you say? Well then what about 40 minute shows? Use a differnet library? Sure, could do. But doesn't it make sense to mark the previous episode as watched, even if it hasn't reached the threshold, if you've been presented with the Up Next interface and specifically said yes?

Thanks guys, love your work

• Agree 4

sydlexius

@tOLJYWhat version of Emby Server are you using?  I'm having similar issues with doing the exact same thing with my Beta server + IntroSkip Plugin (with credit markers).  When I leverage the "play next" feature while the play time is below the threshold, it will not mark the episode as played.  @GrimReaperIf this ends up being an issue with the Beta Emby server, maybe it'd make sense to move this topic over there?

@LukeAside from any server logs, is there any additional information I can provide such as markers, ep total length, client versions, etc?

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, sydlexius said:

@GrimReaperIf this ends up being an issue with the Beta Emby server, maybe it'd make sense to move this topic over there?

Don't know what is default behaviour in stable, have no content as short to compare, does Play Next cause below-threshold content to be marked Played or also doesn't, is this a FR or beta issue? 

sydlexius

It's been a while since my server was on Stable, so I can't speak for those releases.  I have several episodes I've watched that weren't flagged as "watched" after using the play next features.  To me, this seems like an unintended consequence, since the watcher explicitly is stating two things with one click: 1) I'm done with this, and 2) Go to what's next.  There might be other motivations outside of those two, but I'd wager that you'll find that almost everyone intends both those actions (regardless of credit markers being added to episodes).  This feels like a bug, and hopefully it won't take much effort to modify the behavior.

Yes when you click next episode we will probably have to start considering it watched no matter where you're leaving off.

sydlexius
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes when you click next episode we will probably have to start considering it watched no matter where you're leaving off.

For some reason I had just assumed that this was automatically handled...It was only recently that I noticed, so I assume that the circumstances hadn't been there.  I appreciate your taking the time to look into it.

tOLJY
2 hours ago, Luke said:

OK I'd probably suggest updating to 4.7.11 and then reevaluating.

Happy to, but as above mentioned by the others, seems like the issue persists into that version too 

5 hours ago, tOLJY said:

Happy to, but as above mentioned by the others, seems like the issue persists into that version too 

Yes, we've never had functionality to do anything other than use the threshold value for marking watched.  So this is a feature request.  I'm going to re-word it to be more clear.  Thanks.

• 4 months later...
nick naim

I have ran across the same issue and second this feature request. However, I would suggest not only to mark it played if the "Next Episode" butten is pressed, but also if the "CreditsStart" marker is reached.

I am using the Chapter API plugin and set the CreditsStart marker on episodes some episodes that are not marked as played if they are stopped once the credits begin (episode to short or credits too long to meet the criteria). It would be great if the CreditsStart marker could be considered as well to make an episode marked as played.