Audiobook chapters (m4b) inherit the primary image from the book

Junglejim

Junglejim

I was reading this thread..

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/117901-audio-books-are-not-resuming-from-last-position-played/#comment-1248464

Then it occurred to me that the chapter info of a .m4b could look better. I know it can't scan the file for a image frame like video but maybe it could just use the main audiobook image?

Screenshot_2023-04-29_15-28-14.thumb.png.cddafb2b5da13bc54bed540202914f73.png

It's a bit OCD for sure.. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Cheesegeezer
On 30/04/2023 at 14:32, jaycedk said:

I would love to see this, as well.

I’ve been thinking about this while developing Audirium… I did do what you requested and it looks really crap to be honest,

so what im gonna do is blur the book cover and put a transparent black overlay and then name the chapters as Chapter 1, chapter 2 etc as those chapter images to display.

Link if anyone interested 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/109753-audirium-standalone-music-app/#comment-1156221

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Cheesegeezer

I should write a plugin to process this and it would be available across all clients… but… i want my client to epic hahaha 🤣 hmmmmm 🤔 

• Haha 1

Tremas

Wouldn't this information be better displayed as a list? Why even have an image for this view? The image takes up a large amount of space without being useful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Cheesegeezer
6 minutes ago, Tremas said:

Wouldn't this information be better displayed as a list? Why even have an image for this view? The image takes up a large amount of space without being useful.

Absolutely 💯 that would be a better layout and with a duration for the chapter also. 

nice one Tremas 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tremas

I think the images are just there because it was an easy way to expose chapters using the code from the TV/Movie views.

The Audible AP does a good job by displaying chapters as a tab view (similar to the lyrics display toggle in emby):

lua0vl4dglw11-324595303.thumb.jpg.4772d810c13336ac27dab773e1139589.jpg

Hopefully emby audiobooks will get more focus/polish in the future.

For what it's worth, I feel the same about playlists. Displaying them with smallest picture and text with longer character strings makes much more sense - especially when choosing from "Add this to song to playlist."  I should probably submit a feature request for that.

Edited by Tremas
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Junglejim

Some great ideas here! Initially I was just thinking along the line's of improving what we already have. But I like these ideas even better. :)

Yeah lets hope the audiobook library gets some much needed improvement.

• Agree 2

jaycedk

Here is how Audiobookshelf dos it. 
In the web ui.

image.png.a6116a88dbc5b4bf8c03fafbb0008b17.png

Android app.

image.png.43325fa187f292a1f1354d5920b25356.png

• Like 1

sydlexius

To me a list makes the most sense.  I have quite a few audiobooks, and none of my content has unique images for a given chapter.  Given that Emby historically hadn't had a lot of development towards improving the Audiobook experience, I had made the switch to Audiobookshelf (better metadata sources like Audible, the ability to add a single book to multiple series).  I would much prefer to have everything handled by Emby, and some of the recent developments are compelling.

Edited by sydlexius
*had to hadn't had.
  • Agree 3

Junglejim

It's a shame no dev has weighed in on this request or have any ideas on where this could go in the future..

I guess audiobooks are low on there list. I'm not holding my breath for any improvements here. 🙄

• 1 month later...
Chyron

The Emby devs seem to associate audiobooks and podcasts as being the same thing. Since podcasts can potentially have different thumbnails and descriptions for each episode, they have decided to waste UI space giving each audiobook chapter more screen real estate for its own individual artwork, (as well as space for its own description on certain screens).

I have complained about this before several months ago, as well as lobbying for audiobook support in general for years. It would appear the devs aren't actually interested in implementing more than token audiobook support.

Edited by Chyron
  • Agree 1

Chyron
On 5/4/2023 at 1:08 PM, sydlexius said:

To me a list makes the most sense.  I have quite a few audiobooks, and none of my content has unique images for a given chapter.  Given that Emby historically hadn't had a lot of development towards improving the Audiobook experience, I had made the switch to Audiobookshelf (better metadata sources like Audible, the ability to add a single book to multiple series).  I would much prefer to have everything handled by Emby, and some of the recent developments are compelling.

Also Audiobookshelf uses audiobookcovers.com as an available source for covers. Audiobookcovers.com sources its art from the r/AudiobookCovers subreddit.

So yeah, Audiobookshelf is already light years ahead of Emby as a media server for audiobooks, and it's been in development for less than 2 years.

Edited by Chyron

sydlexius
2 hours ago, Chyron said:

Also Audiobookshelf uses audiobookcovers.com as an available source for covers. Audiobookcovers.com sources its art from the r/AudiobookCovers subreddit.

So yeah, Audiobookshelf is already light years ahead of Emby as a media server for audiobooks, and it's been in development for less than 2 years.

Sorry for venturing off-topic, I think they still have some room for improvement with the cover art picker.  I like that they have an "All" option in the most recent builds, but the previews are tiny.  Anyhow, there are definitely nuggets of good engineering and design that could be the basis for inspiring improvements for Emby.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...

The main issue with the vertical list is the need to have content underneath that.

• 2 months later...
Chyron
On 1/31/2024 at 10:17 PM, Luke said:

The main issue with the vertical list is the need to have content underneath that.

So have the content which is currently underneath that to be collapsible.

Why must there be content underneath the track/chapter list, anyway? Why can't it be in a submenu, or a different tab, or a button with a popup window?

image.png

Edited by Chyron