Question about UNC folders

riverboat2001
Go to solution Solved by seanbuff,

riverboat2001

Hi....

I'm reading the set-up guides for MB3 at work, in order to try and prepare to set it up in the near future.

I have a desktop PC upstairs, hooked up to Sickbeard, Couchpotato, and Sabnzb.

All downloads are automatically sent to the correct folders on my 3 ReadyNas Duos.

On this PC i mapped the drives for ease of use, if i follow the guides to make the folders into UNC Folders (on the ReadyNas's), will this cause any problems on this setup. Will the above programs running on that machine still find all the folders it needs to transfer my downloads?

BTW my HTPC is downstairs and I'm assuming i need to install and run both MB3 Client and MB3 Server on that machine, to:

A) share my media around the house

B) Use the HTPC as such.

Sorry for the basic questions, but reading a few phrases and terms that i'm not used to.

Cheers

• Solution
seanbuff

By default, your ReadyNAS shared folders will be accessible via UNC path from your PCs without doing anything. You should be able to access the folders on the ReadyNAS by (\\ReadyNas\Movies, or \\ReadyNas\TVShows (substitute ReadyNAs for the real name of the NAS)) already.

Try it now, assuming you're on Windows -> Start -> Type: \\ReadyNas\Movies  <--- whatever the shares are, they should open no problem.

All you need to do then is point MB3 to those UNC paths by typing them in, or browsing the network.

But to answer your initial question, no there is no problem using mapped drives and UNC paths together. The applications will only use the method you have told it to.

If I were you, I would be configuring Sickbeard, Couch, etc to be using UNC paths instead of Mapped Drives also -- better off in the long run.

• Like 1

seanbuff

BTW my HTPC is downstairs and I'm assuming i need to install and run both MB3 Client and MB3 Server on that machine, to:

Also, you can easily run 'MB3 Server' on the desktop PC upstairs along side SAB, SB and CP. Give it the location for all your media.

Then simply install 'MB3 Client' (currently MBClassic for Windows Media Center) downstairs on the HTPC to connect to 'MB3 Server' upstairs and display your media.

Hope that helps.

riverboat2001

Thanks for the info. There is a reason why i mapped those drives upstairs...I can't remember why, but i think it maybe that Sickbeard didn't "see" the folders until i mapped the drives.

I'll try your suggestion later on, when i get home from work. If they are all correctly configured, then it's just a matter of sorting out the folders on the HTPC (where all my Films are)

riverboat2001

Also, you can easily run 'MB3 Server' on the desktop PC upstairs along side SAB, SB and CP. Give it the location for all your media.

Then simply install 'MB3 Client' (currently MBClassic for Windows Media Center) downstairs on the HTPC to connect to 'MB3 Server' upstairs and display your media.

Hope that helps.

The desktop PC upstairs is only a little Acer, and would be too underpowered for any more work....Cheers