CPU Usage

Derek Webb

Derek Webb

I am new to the NAS server so not sure if it is a problem with Emby or my settings on the NAS but figured I'd start here.  Emby worked and played fine when it was on my computer, but I had issues remotely when using a VPN, so I recently added a DS223 Synology NAS to my home network.  Totally fixed the remote access problem.  But two new problems have arose.  1).  When I first open Emby, even on the home network, it takes a LONG time to load.  Often several minutes.  It is like the whole thing has gone to sleep and it is rebooting as it wakes.  But file access and syncing on the NAS is quick, accessible and fine.  Very annoying but I can live with it.  2). Sometimes it plays fine, but often it starts transcoding and CPU goes to 97% or more and playback keeps pausing.  This is on the home network which is a 1000Mbps connection.  I tried rebooting emby and messed with the playback settings to see if I could get it to direct play instead of transcoding and then it switched to 4 ffmpeg processes being open on the NAS and CPU still maxed out.  Sometimes it will play one movie or episode then act up, often it will happen right away.  But it makes my library unwatchable.  Any ideas?

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Derek Webb said:

2). Sometimes it plays fine, but often it starts transcoding and CPU goes to 97% or more and playback keeps pausing.  This is on the home network which is a 1000Mbps connection.  I tried rebooting emby and messed with the playback settings to see if I could get it to direct play instead of transcoding and then it switched to 4 ffmpeg processes being open on the NAS and CPU still maxed out.  Sometimes it will play one movie or episode then act up, often it will happen right away.  But it makes my library unwatchable.  Any ideas?

Transcoding reasons could be various, exact example(s) together with ffmpeg log(s) are needed. 

Derek Webb

OK, let me know if you need more info.  But tonight I tried to watch a show.  I looked in the log section and I have 9 ffmpeg logs then I rebooted emby, I got 13 ffmpeg logs then I rebooted the NAS and restarted emby and got 9 more ffmpeg logs.  Then I gave up and still didn't finish the show.    It played for the first half hour OK, then it started to bog down and have issues.  Like I said, when I looked at the resource monitor on the NAS at one point I had 5 ffmpeg processes running.  I'll attach the last 9 ffmpeg logs, let me know if you want all 31.   Or if there is any other info I can provide.  Thanks.

ffmpeg-transcode-1cbe011f-300b-4b2d-a7c6-93911721360f_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-63a50066-ded4-41e0-a736-e74a4dbd6adf_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-959f1713-6b4d-4f7e-9f6f-9b0129f75798_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1cbe011f-300b-4b2d-a7c6-93911721360f_1graph.txt ffmpeg-transcode-63a50066-ded4-41e0-a736-e74a4dbd6adf_1graph.txt ffmpeg-transcode-905a1bd6-fab4-4771-b8ce-1a11fb6ade9e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d2df7d2a-7135-4ed8-b4e0-a4f96f1cbc68_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-ec51c05b-7a49-477a-ac98-d3c242559d2e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d00f52e1-ee95-4b51-9f67-b05dbe2ae9ed_1.txt

GrimReaper

Mostly all of those transcodes are due to unsupported graphical subtitles (single one is due to unsupported audio but that did not impact performance as it is relatively inexpensive CPU task) and your server is lacking muscle to keep up - try playing those items without subtitles selected or obtain external text subs. 

• Thanks 1

Derek Webb

Good call.  I swapped out the sub-title track and resolved stalling on that and another file tonight.  Hopefully I can figure out the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1