Share / Download actual files to device

icrimean

icrimean

Hello! Is there any chance to have share / download actual data (files) feature in the next release(s) of Emby Server?

seanbuff
24 minutes ago, icrimean said:

Hello! Is there any chance to have share / download actual data (files) feature in the next release(s) of Emby Server?

Hi, not sure about share - but have you tried out the 'Download' feature for offline media access? I assume that's what you mean?

seanbuff
27 minutes ago, icrimean said:

Yes, I'v tried, but looks like Emby doesn't download actual files (photos or videos) to the device.

Are you sure? I just tested this and was able to download both photos and videos -- and play them back "offline" in Aeroplane Mode

Can you please go over a specific example? What are the steps you are taking and what is the outcome?

Would also help to provide a server log covering the time you download files, follow the steps outlined here: How To Report A Problem

icrimean

Maybe i phrased it wrong, but I expect files to be uploaded to a shared folder like Downloads or Photo/Video gallery. This way it would be easy to share them even if Emby  doesn't give us such feature.

icrimean

Common use-case of this request: I want to send photo/video to someone like I do via WhatsApp or Telegram and phone's gallery. So I open gallery app - select file(s) and press share. That's it. When I do it in Emby - it generates just a link which may work for remote connections (only photos), but local links does not make sense at all. What I could do in this case - remember file name, open SMB client, search file, download it on the phone and share it....

9 hours ago, icrimean said:

Yes, I'v tried, but looks like Emby doesn't download actual files (photos or videos) to the device.

What did you try exactly?

icrimean

My aim is share photo or video via messenger app like WhatsApp or Telegram without giving any credential to people and even tell them about Emby. 

To reach the aim - I tried to:

1. Share file using Emby Android App - got a link (not a solution)

2. Download file using Emby Android App - cannot open it via phone's file manager or via messenger app.

So how can I share actual file?

seanbuff

@icrimeanEmby doesn't currently support what it is you're trying to achieve, however there is an open Feature Request for something similar, you can lend your support to that, thanks

• Thanks 2

icrimean

BTW - I found workaround. Web version of Emby client allows to download actual files (photos and videos) to the device. 🥳 Didn't know it before. 🙂