Firestick not connecting to server

HarryTheLarry

AVSpro

Hi, 

I will try to sideload the app, could you please let me know what security watchdog items you are referring to? I have a router with intergrated firewall. The FW is currently disabled and still does not work. My router just performs NAT-ing and PortForwarding. I tested with UPnP as well but that also does not work. I have activated UPnP on both Router and EmbyServer. 

I will sideload the app and let you know how it goes. 

Kind regards

jaycedk

Can you reach your server using a browser ?

Only using wifi with mobile network turned off.

AVSpro

Hello,

I have sideloaded the app, the PIN login/Connect still does not work. It now works with External IP address, but I would like to use connect because I have a dynamic IP address. Everytime my IP changes, like every 2 days, I need to configure all over again. That can be quite annoying. 

Any idea when this can be fixed? And could you perhaps fix the FireTV stick app so we can also get updates easier?

For future references, the process went like this:

1. Used an app to search and install the Emby Android app Version ARM7(found this info on another emby forum discussion).

2. I opened the emby app

3. I tried Connect/PIN x 3, did not work.

4. I manually added the external IP address and Port(this can stay unchanged if you used default).

5. I logged in into my account(s) with Username(s) (not email) and password.

6. TADAA, all my library documents and files and there!

Thank you for all your help.

Edited by AVSpro

1 hour ago, AVSpro said:

Everytime my IP changes, like every 2 days

That is probably why Connect isn't working very well for you as well.  It tries to keep the IP up to date but it isn't really a dynamic DNS system and works best with a static IP.  You might look into setting up a dynamic DNS domain.

Also, did you search the Amazon app store for "Emby"?  If you have a newer stick, it should be available to you.

AVSpro

Hello ebr,

I download the first Emby App from the Amazon app store. I have 2 FirestickTVs 4K Max (latest version). They both did the same, and I just realized that one is using a dynamic IP and the other on is using a static IP. The static IP worked once with my first configuration but then it stopped working.

It sounds to me like more of a Emby issue since inserting the pin does not really do anything on any app version on FirestickTV. I will give it a try with DynDNS, but what is the main difference here between Plex and Emby? Plex had no such issues.

45 minutes ago, AVSpro said:

Hello ebr,

I download the first Emby App from the Amazon app store. I have 2 FirestickTVs 4K Max (latest version). They both did the same, and I just realized that one is using a dynamic IP and the other on is using a static IP. The static IP worked once with my first configuration but then it stopped working.

It sounds to me like more of a Emby issue since inserting the pin does not really do anything on any app version on FirestickTV. I will give it a try with DynDNS, but what is the main difference here between Plex and Emby? Plex had no such issues.

They have a relay feature that kicks in automatically and routes everything through their servers when a direct connection isn’t possible. That could be happening without you even realizing it.

AVSpro

Hello Lads,

Step 1: I have setup DDNS, just chose one free from the internet and gave it a go. I did not have to add any additional port forwarding information (info for the newbies).

Step 2: After this I went to my FireTV Stick (4KMax) and tested with URL and it worked.

Step 3: I changed my external IP address/renewed. After I got a new IP I could not login to Emby Server anymore cause DNS entry did not match of course. I know this just wanted to make sure it does not work anymore.

Step 4: I updated the DDNS entry, it is a simple WGET command that my DDNS provider supports. I takes about a minute or two for changes to take effect.

Step 5: I went back to my FireTV Stick and TAA-DAA, it works again. 

Step 6: Go back to old FireTV Stick app from Amazon store. (I uninstalled sideloaded app and installed the appstore one)

Step 7: Enter URL again and TAA-DAA, it still works.

I guess ebr was right, there is a problem with the IP changing however, putting in the correct IP still does not work. So I guess there is a problem there with the AppStore app, URL works, IP doesn't.

Sidenote: This was all needed because I could not reach emby server from the Internet, with LAN I had no such issues.

I would like to thank all of you guys for your support and ebr for his great idea for a DDNS, I would not have thought of that so quickly if not for your suggestion!

• Thanks 1