.nfo file date / time changing - Why?

JuJuJurassic

JuJuJurassic

Hi All,

I have 2 SMB shares from TruNas going to my Emby server. I use a simple program, "Karen's Replicator" on a couple of windows servers to backup my media collection. It's set to only copy files that are new or sizes are different. So in theory it should only copy the new media, but it's copying all the nfo files. Every time it runs, once a week or so, it copies the nfo files over again. My emby server shuts off and reboots every day, but why are the files changing? It's making the backup a lot slower. I think it's always done it, but I've just noticed now. Any words of wisdom?

The media file settings are;

After the initial import, automatically refresh metadata from the internet:NeverEvery 30 daysEvery 60 daysEvery 90 days

Enabling this option may result in significantly longer library scans.

it's set to save the artwork in the media folders.

What am I missing?

Thanks 🙂

Every time it runs, once a week or so, it copies the nfo files over again.

The date modified timestamps on the nfo's change -> the emby library scan sees this, rescans, refreshes metadata and resaves the nfo -> thus the files are changing

JuJuJurassic

Thanks Luke, but I dont' understand. Does Emby change the modified time on "its" nfo's then? The replication program compares the date and time of the nfo in the Emby smb share with the same nfo in the backup area/SMB share. If they are different it copies the nfo from the emby smb share to the backup server's smb share.

But once it's done this they should have the same timestamps so if the file is untouched, it shouldn't copy them over on the next run, but it is.

Thanks

JuJuJurassic

My apologies I haven't explained it correctly.

The source SMB share is the one Emby uses, and the one new media files are copied to. The backup smb share is a Windows server with the same capacity as the Emby SMB share. It's only turned on when I do a backup. The backup program looks at the time and date of the file on the Emby SMB share and compares it with the date and time of the same file on the backup share. If the one on the Emby share is more recent, the program copies the file on the Emby smb share across to the backup, windows, share. Next time it runs, it shouldn't copy the file over again, as it has an up-to-date copy. This is true of all the actual media files,mkv etc, it just keeps copying over the nfo files. If the file doesn't exist it will copy it over anyway. 

The backup program copies the nfo files over as it says "the source is newer" that being the nfo on the Emby SMB share.

So the backup program doesn't touch the nfo files on the source SMB share.

Any suggestions on why the nfo files are changing? The library is set to "the initial import, automatically refresh metadata from the internet:Never"

Thanks