Advice for upgrade

johnrobsonuk

johnrobsonuk

Just got a new Samsung QN95B i want to make use of HDR10+

Currently running emby server on a shield pro2019 

I am tempted by a new Apple 4K tv as it supports HDR10+ then il add the emby app Also other apps like Disney and Prime and Netflix.

Am I wasting my money here with this apple tv 4k

My shield is fine but no hdr10+ support my tv has prime installed and that supports hdr10+ but since this morning when I look on a show that had the hdr10+ logo they have disappeared. 

But from what I read appletv has frame matching ... also upscale to hdr10+

Also, have the new Samsung sound bar I presume the new apple tv will support Dolby atmos pass-through as its all connected via HDMI.

Any advice here maybe I sudnt have got a Samsung as no DV support yet but I just looked the look of the Samsung always have.

Anyways any advice here :D

rbjtech

Samsung are very unlikely to ever support DV.  DV is now the dominant dynamic HDR standard by a significant margin, supported by almost everybody (incl even Apple..) except Samsung...

So while it's great to match HDR10+ from the client and TV - my money would be on getting a TV that plays DV - that dominance is not going to diminish anytime soon ...

Your Shield plays all available formats of DV anyway - and has done for years.

Atmos is a different issue - all hardware appears to support EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) with Atmos - HD Audio with Atmos (True-HD) is another issue entirely - but again, the Shield has zero issues playing this to a suitable AVR or soundbar.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

johnrobsonuk

I just got the best Samsung tv lol so won’t be replacing it anytime soon it’s an amazing tv picture looks amazing I will run both Apple TV and sheild :)