Ran backup and erased but in meta folder data still shows

80srule

80srule

I used the backup plugin to backup user data and then move it over to my new server. I must've thing wrong as the server came back rebooted and now all my files are gone. It's pointing to the old server location after I had spent almost several weeks scanning in the meta-data on the new server since I could not figure out a simple way of just telling emby to move. 

However, it is that if I go to the program data file folder and I opened it up on my metadata is there there's still the fanart all the info and everything is still there. But I don't understand why the server doesn't see that it is actually still there. And I'm trying to figure out how to get the server to see that all that info that it scanned in is still there in the folder. 

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, 80srule said:

I used the backup plugin to backup user data and then move it over to my new server.

5 minutes ago, 80srule said:

server came back rebooted and now all my files are gone. It's pointing to the old server location

You must've restored more than user data only - i.e. Settings/Library definitions. 

Did your libraries paths change? 

80srule

Yes library paths changed back to the old. And I don’t know how to get emby to see that all the metadata is still there. However when I change the paths back it starts scanning like new again. 

80srule

I was wondering if I edited the xml of the options xml for each database in the backup to the correct path then did a restore if it would then see the metadata. 

GrimReaper
36 minutes ago, 80srule said:

Yes library paths changed back to the old. And I don’t know how to get emby to see that all the metadata is still there. However when I change the paths back it starts scanning like new again

Yes, as is normal when you change library paths, scanning content again. That's why storing artwork/NFOs with your media is recommended, for backup/rebuild purposes. If you've broken links between db and associated metadata folders, I'm afraid you'll have partial - or none at all - success in restoring those, and even if you did manage a few, that would be purely coincidental. 

80srule
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Yes, as is normal when you change library paths, scanning content again. That's why storing artwork/NFOs with your media is recommended, for backup/rebuild purposes. If you've broken links between db and associated metadata folders, I'm afraid you'll have partial - or none at all - success in restoring those, and even if you did manage a few, that would be purely coincidental. 

But the metadata is all there in the folder. I can see all the collections I can see all the fan art. I just don’t get why emby can’t see it. Normally that data is not there. 

What metadata folder are you referring to exactly? Can you please show us an example? Thanks !

80srule
On 4/20/2023 at 1:58 AM, GrimReaper said:

yes so if I go to Embynet/programdata /metadata . And if I go into the library folder, I can see all of the content there’s a whole bunch of just random numbers which I know is the meta-data for different shows and movies and then if I go beyond that, I can see the fanart and the poster art. 

E1F245A6-1FEB-404A-B75E-00DCCF78539A.jpeg

Did you run the scan metadata folder scheduled task? If you manually modify the contents of that folder then you need to run the task after doing so.

80srule

I did run that. I thought that would fix the problem. I didn’t change the contents of the folder. When I ran the back up meeting, I just wanted to restore all my playlists in all the contents from friends and family, so that everybody had their stuff together. I also didn’t un check the backup of the library, so it changed all the library links to point back to the old server. So I went through all the libraries change the path back to the way it should be  

Then I ran the meta-data folder scan  and that’s what confuses me is that I could understand it wanting to rescan if nothing was there but all the meta-data is still intact it’s just like emby can’t see it is there still. 

The library items have new id's on the new server, so it's going to be looking in different places under the metadata folder.

That's why you can't just cherry pick individual portions of the server program data folder that you want to migrate. You have to take the whole thing, database and all. If you take everything, it will work just fine.

80srule
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

The library items have new id's on the new server, so it's going to be looking in different places under the metadata folder.

That's why you can't just cherry pick individual portions of the server program data folder that you want to migrate. You have to take the whole thing, database and all. If you take everything, it will work just fine.

So how do I do that? Since it was all scanned in on my new server till I restored the data and messed it up. I thought since the days was still there simply repointing to the correct path would work. 

You pick up and copy the entire program data folder from old machine to new machine.

80srule
7 hours ago, Luke said:

You pick up and copy the entire program data folder from old machine to new machine.

How do I do that? I tried to download it and it wouldn’t download. 

80srule
1 minute ago, Luke said:

What did you try to download exactly, and from where?

I went into the file management on my server and navigated to the emby net folder. And then I grabbed the program data folder and tried to download it so that I could upload it to the new server. I thought that’s what you were wanting me to do whenAnd then I grabbed the program data folder and tried to download it so that I could upload it to the new server. I thought that’s what you were wanting me to do when you said copy the entire program data folder from old to new. you said copy the entire program data folder from old to new.

Just now, 80srule said:

I went into the file management on my server and navigated to the emby net folder. And then I grabbed the program data folder and tried to download it so that I could upload it to the new server. I thought that’s what you were wanting me to do whenAnd then I grabbed the program data folder and tried to download it so that I could upload it to the new server. I thought that’s what you were wanting me to do when you said copy the entire program data folder from old to new. you said copy the entire program data folder from old to new.

And then what did you do after that?

80srule
1 minute ago, Luke said:

And then what did you do after that?

I tried downloading it and it said it did but the file size was way to small. So clearly it didn’t.  It was only a few mb. Not sure what to do 

80srule
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Exactly what did you download?

the Program data folder. As I said it didn't download even though ti says it does as the file size is tiny. Only a few hundred Kb

80srule
7 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Are you using some sort of cloud hosting ?

Yes. No way to run local. 

I use whatbox.