Basic Auth with User:Password

vurt

Hi, I'm trying to help my friend set up his Sony Android TV to connect to my Emby server remotely.

My Emby server is at "https://emby.mydomain.net". This URL is behind HTTP basic auth. I've also created a user:password for my friend to log into Emby itself. So that's two layers of auth. A browser on the laptop connects to https://emby.mydomain.net and streams fine. The port forward and reverse proxy works fine—I have other dockers running and accessible. Eg. I can use "user:password@sab.mydomain.net" in my mobile app to connect to a docker on my server.

On the Sony Android TV, I've installed the latest Kodi from Play Store, and installed EmbyCon add-on.

Does EmbyCon accept "user:password@emby.mydomain.net" for the host path?

It didn't work when I tried it, but I received some kinda SSL error, the error code is "_ssl.c:99" if I'm not wrong.

I can provide more details (like get the logs) when I return to my friend's place for further troubleshooting—I'm trying to figure out if the host path format is even acceptable and to learn how else to troubleshoot when I'm there.

Edited by vurt

TeamB

this used to work.

But. I think I might have broken this in a recent change:

https://github.com/faush01/plugin.video.embycon/commit/f0dc1fdb91aa4b14f0d1f4a6caafb75330a764b6

I am not sure way I made this change atm, I think it had something to do with adding the user ID the the playback URL to give different users playback save options in Kodi.

It was such a weird edge case, that ONLY Kodi and the EmbyCon addon combination supported so I did not think it was worth keeping, I think that was my thought process at the time.

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
vurt

Sorry for the delayed reply. I lost track of this.

Errr do you think this can be easily fixed?

Otherwise I can try the other plugin, but I prefer EmbyCon.

Edited by vurt

TeamB
5 hours ago, vurt said:

Sorry for the delayed reply. I lost track of this.

Errr do you think this can be easily fixed?

Otherwise I can try the other plugin, but I prefer EmbyCon.

i remember now why i made this change, it was so i could pass the emby user in the url and have kodi store it as part of the base media url as kodi does not store query string with the media request url, i wanted this so each user could have different subtitle and audio settings saved for each media item.

as i mentioned as far as i know apart from the web client embycon is the only client that used to support this senario.

you could try the other addon but i am not sure it supports user:password in the url for basic auth but i could be wrong.

vurt

Hmmm it sounds like both plugins might not support then. I'll disable auth basic for the sub domain. Thank you!!

Edited by vurt