LG C1 & C2 HDR presentation broken

blipoids

blipoids

HDR presentation is broken, especially on the C2 where there is absolutely no HDR data streamed, even if the client engages HDR mode on the tv. On the C1 results are mixed -apparently the same file does stream correct HDR data, but other files fail (sometimes triggered by subtitles).

I have converted a file to double check this to mp4, hevc, 4k hdr, 2 channel aac -no subtitle loaded.

The main problem though is the C2 where HDR fails. C2 has the latest 3.30.67 firmware, client and server up to date. The C1 is on the 3.34.70 update.

Stats of video file: https://paste2.org/2hkpO9Zx

Edited by blipoids

blipoids
On 4/17/2023 at 9:24 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

I'm not sure how to proceed. The steps to reproduce are very easy, but if you need more information I can attach logs. Please let me know what else do you need.

Easy steps: take file in 4k hdr with dolby vision and try to play it in the emby app on LG -it will not engage dolby vision picture mode, only hdr, and the colors will look wrong. If I use emby on Shield Pro for example it will engage dolby and will look correct.

stephen_hill

In Google Chrome

• Copy and paste the link into a new tab.
  • Right click on an empty space and select "Save as"
  • File should download
  • Copy into Emby library

Steps should be the similar for other browsers.

stephen_hill
blipoids
5 hours ago, stephen_hill said:

Thanks. Did a quick test with the Emby app and I think they play correctly -I don't get the usual Dolby pop up but if I check the picture mode it says DV. I'll test against the shield to see if there are color or brightness differences.

SamES
6 hours ago, blipoids said:

I'm not sure how to proceed. The steps to reproduce are very easy, but if you need more information I can attach logs. Please let me know what else do you need.

Easy steps: take file in 4k hdr with dolby vision and try to play it in the emby app on LG -it will not engage dolby vision picture mode, only hdr, and the colors will look wrong. If I use emby on Shield Pro for example it will engage dolby and will look correct.

When you play your file, what is the playback method?  Is it DirectPlay?  I think that is the only playback method that will preserve DV.  If It's transcoding audio or burning in subtitles then you will have an issue.  For example, trying to play TrueHD/Atmos or DTS audio, or using graphical subtitles will be a problem.

As an extra test, put the files on a portable hard-drive and connect it directly to the TV.  Play the files with the TV's built in media player and see whether you get DV.  If you don't then there's nothing we can do as there's either an issue with the file, or it's not a format that the TV supports.

blipoids
13 hours ago, SamES said:

When you play your file, what is the playback method?  Is it DirectPlay?  I think that is the only playback method that will preserve DV.  If It's transcoding audio or burning in subtitles then you will have an issue.  For example, trying to play TrueHD/Atmos or DTS audio, or using graphical subtitles will be a problem.

As an extra test, put the files on a portable hard-drive and connect it directly to the TV.  Play the files with the TV's built in media player and see whether you get DV.  If you don't then there's nothing we can do as there's either an issue with the file, or it's not a format that the TV supports.

All streams are directplay -I even disabled the subs because everyone is saying they could force transcoding. I also can check if transcoding is happening on the server side, but there's no transcoding happening from what I see.

Here is something else strange: on an apple tv 4k, the Emby app cannot play the file correctly. But Infuse can. Same file, same Emby server, same library, same network, same tv.

Attaching stats of this file:

https://paste2.org/0cgJAIhJ

Edited by blipoids

SamES
35 minutes ago, blipoids said:

All streams are directplay -I even disabled the subs because everyone is saying they could force transcoding. I also can check if transcoding is happening on the server side, but there's no transcoding happening from what I see.

Here is something else strange: on an apple tv 4k, the Emby app cannot play the file correctly. But Infuse can. Same file, same Emby server, same library, same network, same tv.

Attaching stats of this file:

https://paste2.org/0cgJAIhJ

I would suggest testing it on a portable drive, but it sounds like the file might have an issue.

• 2 months later...

HI, please try the newly released Emby for LG 1.0.39 and let us know how things compare. Thanks !