Firefox h264 only / no av1 direct play

kbbles
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

kbbles

hi, I've been trying to figure out why nearly everything gets transcoded to h264 in Firefox and that's because the log shows

&VideoCodec=h264

and no other codecs. is this normal? I downloaded some youtube videos and vp9 seems to direct-play, but nothing else regardless of container or codec. for example, I have an av1 SVT movie as a .mp4 and even that's getting transcoded. the client in question is using a 3080 ti graphics card which supports av1 decode, but emby doesn't seem to recognize that regardless of platform.

on Chromium browsers and Emby Theater for Windows, they all transcode as well, with the logs saying

&VideoCodec=h264,h265,hevc

so I'm not sure what could be going on. I poked around online and found something called dav1d, if I can put that on Emby running on my Docker container on Unraid that would be awesome, but I can't seem to find any guides about it.

thanks in advance!

kbbles

to add: my partner has a windows PC with a 3060 ti graphics card, and the exact same thing is happening to her

Happy2Play

Will have to look but to my knowledge FF provides the least amount of codec support comparted to other browsers.  So mileage will vary per browser.

Where you would get or support from Desktop ET.

kbbles

so I've tried this on Edge (chromium), Brave (also chromium), Firefox and Emby Theater on Windows (Microsoft store) and none of them are doing av1 playback. FF logs only show h264 like that, the other ones I mentioned show h264/h265/hevc. I can post the logs for one of the other ones if that's any help!

Hi. Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

• Solution

OK so this is one of those situations where an audio conversion also results in a video conversion, because we can direct play av1 but we can't put it into the transcoding protocol.

kbbles

oh okay, that makes a lot of sense! so I should re-transcode it to av1 but this time transcode the audio to ac3 then?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, kbbles said:

oh okay, that makes a lot of sense! so I should re-transcode it to av1 but this time transcode the audio to ac3 then?

But Firefox does not support ac3.

kbbles

yep just found that out, Theater direct-plays with ac3 but Firefox would need aac. I don't mind using Emby Theater, just wish it supported custom fonts & audio compression - but that's for another thread lmao

going to mark this one solved, thanks!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1