Obtaining subtitles

arrbee99

arrbee99

Erm, so, I bought myself a boxset of Babylon Berlin. The only problem (for me) is I don't speak German, and the boxset is in German only with German subtitles only. Would anyone know how to add English subtitles to this soon to be ripped and added set ?

Its a one off thing. Do I get subs off the internet somewhere or can Emby add / provide them automatically somehow (for one TV series only) ? Thanks

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Do I get subs off the internet somewhere or can Emby add / provide them automatically somehow (for one TV series only) ?

Either will work: download then manually or configure Emby to do it for you (your best bet would be OpenSubtitles). 

arrbee99

Thanks. I'll try those. I guess I have to register to download. Will see how far I get...

arrbee99

Thanks, that sounds better. I did try using Mkvtoolnix, seemed to work well except it changed the file duration from 44 min to 1hr26min, or something like that, so lots of nothing after the end credits. Typical.

- found the right track, guess the other version was for a double episode or something.

Edited by arrbee99

• 4 weeks later...
visproduction

A useful link to sync up subtitles.

https://subtitletools.com/subtitle-sync-shifter

Remember, if the subtitles come too soon, use positive numbers 1000 is equal to 1 second.
Conversely, if subtitles happen after the audio, use negative numbers -1000...

VLC is a good player to test .srt subs.

1. Look at the timing in the subtitle file
  2. Start the media in VLC
  3. Add the subtitle from the top tab menu
  4. Go to the timeline where there is a good test subtitle.
  5. Count the seconds that it is off.
  6. Upload the subtitle to the website
  7. Enter the number of milliseconds of how far the subs are off.
  8. Click Shift button on website
  9. Download the result and add the adjustment to the start of the filename  '+1500 Summer Day'
  10. Check the new subtitle in VLC 
  11. If needed, tweak the timing again with a different setting.  Sometimes even 100 milliseconds can help.

Hope that helps.

rbjtech

I use subtitle edit - it shows you the video alongside and you can sync them live, no need for an external player.

image.thumb.png.a0ee9f97ff16684a7eefef4382499a05.png

• Agree 1

arrbee99

Thanks for the info. Looks pretty easy, I just have to make myself sit down and get stuck in instead of permanently not quite getting round to it 😀

16 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Thanks for the info. Looks pretty easy, I just have to make myself sit down and get stuck in instead of permanently not quite getting round to it 😀

My Dad used to hand these out to people in his office

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

arrbee99

One of my many failing so I'm told. Don't believe it myself but too much effort to disagree...

neik

In case you need to sync the obtained subtitle to your file, I can suggest subsync.
Has been pretty flawless for everything I through at it no matter it was German, English or Portuguese (PT).