Hard Drive Corrupted - Install Emby on 2nd Drive?

hollerme
Go to solution Solved by hollerme,

hollerme

Hi,

For the past several months I haven't had access to Emby. I have 2 hard drives on my Synology with movies spread between them and the 1st drive is corrupted. Am I able to install Emby on the 2nd drive and if so what steps do I need to take (shall I also remove the corrupted drive entirely)?

HI, does Synology allow you to configure what drives applications get installed on? 

hollerme

Hi Luke, I'm not sure how find that out. Is there anything I should look for when logging into my Synology?

On 4/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, hollerme said:

Hi,

For the past several months I haven't had access to Emby. I have 2 hard drives on my Synology with movies spread between them and the 1st drive is corrupted. Am I able to install Emby on the 2nd drive and if so what steps do I need to take (shall I also remove the corrupted drive entirely)?

When you go into Synology Storage Manager what information do you see?
Please grab some screen shots of the Overview, Pool & Volume and upload them so we can see the reported problem as well as your disk setup.

Also go to the HDD/SDD menu option, select the troubled drive and click the Health Info button.  Grab a screen shot of that then change tabs to S.M.A.R.T. and run the Quick Test.  Show us what results you get from this as well.

With that information we should have a much better idea what's actually going on and possibly the best way to progress from it.

BTW, have you reached out to Synology or the drive maker for help?

Carlo

hollerme
15 hours ago, cayars said:

When you go into Synology Storage Manager what information do you see?
Please grab some screen shots of the Overview, Pool & Volume and upload them so we can see the reported problem as well as your disk setup.

Also go to the HDD/SDD menu option, select the troubled drive and click the Health Info button.  Grab a screen shot of that then change tabs to S.M.A.R.T. and run the Quick Test.  Show us what results you get from this as well.

With that information we should have a much better idea what's actually going on and possibly the best way to progress from it.

BTW, have you reached out to Synology or the drive maker for help?

Carlo

Thanks for this, please find attached screenshots for all the info requested. I haven't had any luck with Synology support unfortunately. @cayars

Synology05.png

Synology04.png

Synology03.png

Synology02.png

Synology01.png

This appears to be a single drive volume which means there is no built in protection for a single drive loss which is one of the benefits normally of using a NAS to combine multiple disks into a volume.

Do you have a backup of that volume?

Which NAS is this?
What version of DSM are you running?  Your menu options look different than my Synology server.
In the volumes menu I see you have an Action Button. What options are present at that location.  If any of the choices is some type of repair, have you tried it?

Carlo

hollerme
21 hours ago, cayars said:

This appears to be a single drive volume which means there is no built in protection for a single drive loss which is one of the benefits normally of using a NAS to combine multiple disks into a volume.

Do you have a backup of that volume?

Which NAS is this?
What version of DSM are you running?  Your menu options look different than my Synology server.
In the volumes menu I see you have an Action Button. What options are present at that location.  If any of the choices is some type of repair, have you tried it?

Carlo

I don't have a backup. @cayars

The model name is DS218 (is that how to find out which NAS this is?)

I am using DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 6. I tried updating to DSM 7.0 but a message popped up saying: The system database will not be available after the update due to insufficient storage space on the following volumes. Please free up some space before updating to avoid any data loss. /Volume 1 (More than 17179869184.00 GB free space is required) I tried deleting files but keep getting the message "Failed to delete the selected files/folders. Please make sure you have appropriate privileges" despite me being on an admin account (I checked Properties to confirm).

The Action Button is greyed out on Drive 1 (the problematic drive). On Drive 2 it has the option "Configure" (and another greyed out option: File System Defragmentation)

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to touch base with my contact at Synology to verify a couple things before giving any advice.

Are you still able to access files on volume1?

If you have a suitable way of backing up volume1 you should still try and do this.  If not, try to copy as much of Volume1's data as you can to external drives, other volumes or other network computers to get off any important files while you can.

Once you have that done, you'll need to free up space on the volume by deleting files (hopefully ones you've made a copy of).  Once you've done that you should be able to get rid of the message you received previously. At that point you should also be able try repairing the volume1.

I would suggest contacting Synology support if needed for assistance.

Carlo

hollerme
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to touch base with my contact at Synology to verify a couple things before giving any advice.

Are you still able to access files on volume1?

If you have a suitable way of backing up volume1 you should still try and do this.  If not, try to copy as much of Volume1's data as you can to external drives, other volumes or other network computers to get off any important files while you can.

Once you have that done, you'll need to free up space on the volume by deleting files (hopefully ones you've made a copy of).  Once you've done that you should be able to get rid of the message you received previously. At that point you should also be able try repairing the volume1.

I would suggest contacting Synology support if needed for assistance.

Carlo

Hi, I'm still able to access files on Volume 1 and successfully transferred my most important photos and videos to Volume 2. However I can't delete any file on Volume 1 because of the error I receive (mentioned in my last message). @cayars

Can't remember exactly where this is on DSM 6.

For DSM 7, to repair system partitions: Launch Storage Manager. Go to Overview and click the Repair link. The system should repair the system partitions.

If that doesn't work or you can't find the option, your best bet would be getting assistance from Synology itself, as they would know all the ins & outs and possibly, have non-published methods that could be used.

Carlo

PS another alternative is to pool the drive itself and mount it in a system with Linux installed which would allow you to repair it.  Can be done on Windows also with many different 3rd party disk tools.

hollerme
On 4/18/2023 at 1:52 PM, cayars said:

Can't remember exactly where this is on DSM 6.

For DSM 7, to repair system partitions: Launch Storage Manager. Go to Overview and click the Repair link. The system should repair the system partitions.

If that doesn't work or you can't find the option, your best bet would be getting assistance from Synology itself, as they would know all the ins & outs and possibly, have non-published methods that could be used.

Carlo

PS another alternative is to pool the drive itself and mount it in a system with Linux installed which would allow you to repair it.  Can be done on Windows also with many different 3rd party disk tools.

Hi,

I've managed to wipe Volume 1, upgrade to DSM 7, and install Emby. @cayars

However I can't seem to link the library subfolders to any of the subfolders folders on my Synology. 

When I try to link Movies or TV, etc. on Emby, it will only let me go to /Volume 1. If I try to go to /Volume1/MyEmbyMedia1 Emby simply gives me a blank line (i.e. it doesn't accept it).

Is there anything I can do to link the subfolders?

image.thumb.png.c7973b37d95ce87290075154756fecd3.png

image.thumb.png.89d82a52d4fb0638bc1abf78d1186ed8.png

JohnWhitmore

Sounds like permissions. Right click the MyEmbyMedia1 folder and select "properties" - "permissions" tab and ensure Emby has read/write access

• Solution
hollerme

It's been sorted.

While the volumes stated read & write were enabled, if you go to control panel > shared folder > edit > permissions and then select "System Internal User" it showed that Emby's read/write wasn't enabled. After giving it permission it automatically worked!

Thanks everyone for all your help, I'm really grateful to have access again!

Edited by hollerme
  • Thanks 2