Not having much luck with HDHomeRun devices

Bingie

Bingie

Hi all,

I must have the worst luck in the universe with HDHomeRun.  I decided to give them another try, ordered the new Flex 4 tuner box, just got it, and it's DOA, doesn't power on, and has to be replaced.  The first time I tried this brand, that one had to be replaced too.  ARGH!!!!!  Maybe I should order 10 of them, find one that works, then return the other 9 :o

I looked up Hauppauge, and they don't have anything as good as HDHomeRun.  Is there some other device I can try?

Thanks

Bingie

Thanks Luke, I'll probably order one of those today.

I tried a new indoor antenna last night (direct to tv), and this one works great!  I'm in an apartment, on the ground floor, and there is another building in my way.  The cheap small indoor antennas don't work well enough, I've tried those.

This one works great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SVNKT86?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It's huge LOL but I don't care.  Signal and picture are excellent.  Finally YAY we have local tv channels now.

Now all I need is a working hdhomerun box, or a hauppauge card.  Think I'll try the card.

Cheers

Bingie

update:

I heard from HDHomeRun, and when they heard I bought the device from Amazon, they informed me they are aware that Amazon puts bad products back into inventory, instead of returning to them.  I have experienced this myself from Amazon more and more.

SiliconDust will send me a new one, so fingers crossed!

• Facepalm 1

Bingie

Just got the replacement HDHomeRun 4k 4-tuner, and I have to admit, it's pretty darn cool.

There is a noticeable drop in video quality (I had the antenna directly connected to my tv for a few days while waiting for this replacement), and even though I added an active powered booster to get signal strength/quality up to 100% on some channels, those same channels show occasional dropouts when watched via roku -> emby -> hdhomerun -> antenna.  I suppose some loss of quality is to be expected, but was hoping it wouldn't be noticeable.

Still, nice setup.  Now we have free local channels on all our tv's, and can even record them if we want.  Very cool.

daldana

One thing to watch out for is too much signal strength for the HDHomerun, the occasional dropouts could be an indication of that. If you have an adjustable amplifier, try turning it down below 100% and then readjusting slowly to 100%.

BillOatman

I agree because I have a hdhomerun and I get the occasional drops due to weather (and the placement of the antenna that is far from optimal :) ) but the quality is the same as when I hook the antenna up to my TV directly.