Help me with Samsung 'The Frame' TV purchase decision ?

vaise

vaise

I am coming from shield TV / google TV devices, but now am interested in the player built into the tizen - so I want to make sure it does everything I need.

I plan on connecting its E-ARC HDMI to a receiver, which would be connected to 5.1 speakers in my walls.  I know e-arc on receivers is a bit new and only for high end currently.

My old pioneer receiver is too large for the cabinets the wife has selected for the new media room design (having wood floor put down etc).  It is 10 years old now and needs updating for all the new formats.

We are drawn to the Samsung frame TV and now I have to figure out the connection to the receiver.  The receiver is yet to be decided on.

Can the built in emby client playback everything that the shieldTV can ?

4K HDR10 ? Atmos ?

I know the TV does not do DV - which is a bit of a pain for the future proof, but I have no media for that to date (except accidently).  Thanks in advance.

SamES

Others with more experience can comment, but I believe the Shield is still the go to device for maximum compatibility. 

By default, the Samsung Emby app will convert both DTS and TrueHD and although they should be able to be sent at full rate via eARC, I don’t believe anyone has proven that Samsung or LG have allowed apps to send these formats.

I’m out of town until the end of the week, but if you don’t get a satisfactory response from others then I can connect my receiver to my 2022 model and see what I can get to work. 

Apart from UI differences and DV, these audio formats are probably the only real differences to the Shield. I believe the Shield might also natively play graphical subs such as PGS without conversion if that is important to you 

• Like 1

vaise

Thanks for that info and testing.  So you are saying it can okay back all 4K content well ?  The shield in that room is an old pro and has a random ‘lost contact’ issue so If I don’t have to use it, then it’s relegated to a spare / garage device.

SamES

All 4K should be fine, although I’ve not specifically tested a Frame model. 

Sound like if that’s your preferred TV then give it a go and if it doesn’t playback as well as the Shield then buy a new Shield Pro ( not the basic version)

What is your alternate TV option?

vaise

It’s the wife that like the frame TV.  The picture ‘frameness’ of it.  Even though this is a media room, it’s not my usual place for watching TV (that’s my downstairs lounge).  So if not the frame for the aesthetics, then I would just be getting something the kids can play their Xbox on primarily, so if not the frame tv (which is on special for 65inch), then a new model low end large 75 inch TCL or Hisense. Under 1k aus$.