Odd connection issue at a certain time

Familia Chapin
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

Familia Chapin

Not sure if it's discouraged to comment on a topic with a solution but the solution didn't work for me. Let me know if i need to start a new topic.

In the last couple of weeks specifically between 7:30pm and 10pm EST (10 is the latest I've checked), my Roku tv won't connect to emby. It's on the same network and not using emby connect so i can flip through users.

This only happens in the evening. Tonight my sister in law out of state was able to watch on her Roku tv and my Android phone could login on the LAN and on cellular data. As i mentioned this is que because it works all day several times a day but at the 730 mark connection gets spotty. Some evenings it connects and others it won't. Restarting the server doesn't change results. Thoughts?

pwhodges

Dodgy wifi connection being pushed over the edge by something the neighbour turns on for the evening?  Can the Roku see other network  things like Netflix?

Paul

Familia Chapin

Hey. Yup every other app works (i actually end up having to watch Netflix actually). I haven't had any connectivity issues with resident to Roku tv and internet/wifi connection.

8 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

my Roku tv won't connect to emby

Hi.  Exactly what happens?

If you look in the server log, do you see the Roku ever actually contacting your server?

Familia Chapin

I knew I should have taken logs!! I will try again tonight. With my "luck" it will work. I will post the logs as soon as it starts acting up again and then post. But when i tried to manually enter the host information it said it couldnt find anything.

I will report back once duplicated (it does this many nights but not every night).

Familia Chapin

Ok it came back up. It sends me to the emby connect  (or manual server login) screen. I restarted the server. Same result. I entered the Host and Port information. Still nothing. The entire time the server was active on my phone and my sister in laws remote device. Here are the logs.

hardware_detection-63817198641.txtembyserver.txt

Hi.  There is no access in that server log by a Roku device.  That would lean towards something in the network arena, like the Roku not being able to reach the server or having the incorrect address.

You are also running the beta server but that probably is not related to this issue.

Familia Chapin

That's what i thought was weird. Roku TV was/is connected and could connect with every other app (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc). And at the same time, emby was connecting to all other clients. I suppose if nothing shows on the log, there isn't anything for you to check. 

The next time this happens, i will check my router to see if anything is being blocked. I have an Asus RT-AX86U in case you have any ideas (I'm aware this group isnt tech support for routers but just in case :))

• Solution
7 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

That's what i thought was weird. Roku TV was/is connected and could connect with every other app (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc). And at the same time, emby was connecting to all other clients. I suppose if nothing shows on the log, there isn't anything for you to check. 

The next time this happens, i will check my router to see if anything is being blocked. I have an Asus RT-AX86U in case you have any ideas (I'm aware this group isnt tech support for routers but just in case :))

This happens occasionally on my Roku Express which is WiFi only. When it does this I call this state "The Roku has $hit the bed". It will kill LAN access. Everything over WAN will still work. While in this state the Roku is unpredictable.

To fix it you have to either:

1. (Network -> Check Connection) which will occasionally fix it. Try this first.
2. (System -> Power -> System Restart) which will restart your Roku and fix any problems that build up as the device accrues uptime. The Roku will get stale in some states. A reboot is the only way to solve it.

But, if you find neither of the above fixes the problem (Settings -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Network connection reset) which will reset your connections and have you redo them entirely which definitely fixes the issue immediately. It will force a reboot when doing this as it clears the cache.

Edited by speechles