Help choosing dedicated server for emby server

miangacu

miangacu

Hello!
I am going to set up an emby server with some family and friends and we are going to pay for it together.

We will be approximately 15 users (I suppose not all playing at the same time). All from Spain.

Since it's not for sale, just for our private use, I'm looking for a high-quality one that will allow me to transcode from 4k to below (if necessary). We just want to install on the server: emby server and rclone (with Onedrive) to stream the files.

I have thought about using hetzner, but I don't know if there is a better quality/price server. I have seen the following that have intel (and I guess igpu):

CapturadePantalla2023-04-08alas14_41_54.png.227f1fafc7f3651a0f4e8309f009ec5a.png

CapturadePantalla2023-04-08alas14_42_41.png.0dcbe9b4fb8c3dc49c04e0c2c39c91ae.png
Which one do you recommend for the use I request?

On the other hand, to install emby server and rclone, what is your recommendation that I install on the server (windows server, debian...).? If I install debian, do you recommend proxmox or do I install emby server directly in debian? Do you recommend docker or better performance if I install it directly in debian?

Any other recommendation from you?

Thanks a lot.

miangacu

Thank you very much @Luke for your up. I want to set up a dedicated server just for emby, so I would appreciate someone with experience to set up a good enough one.

Edited by miangacu

RanmaCanada

You're going to have to use windows as quicksync support in linux for 12th and 13th gen I believe are still problamatic.  I would also recommend that you host your own data, as that way you will be 100% in control.

miangacu
2 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

You're going to have to use windows as quicksync support in linux for 12th and 13th gen I believe are still problamatic.  I would also recommend that you host your own data, as that way you will be 100% in control.

Thank you so much. I know that support is still problematic, but from what I've seen, in beta versions it already works correctly. I don't know if Luke can give us more information on whether it will be supported in the official version soon. I don't know if using Windows Server I will lose power (and I don't know how HDR works on Windows).

On the other hand, it's my personal OneDrive, so I don't have any problems regarding the files.

Thanks!

RanmaCanada

Just because it's your personal OneDrive doesn't mean you own the data.  Microsoft can and will at their discretion nuke your drive, your files, whatever they want as you are violating their TOS.  If you do not have your own files hosted at home, you do not own them, period.  MS, Google, et al do use deduping software to check file hashes, and they do remove files that are known to them to be against their TOS.  The only way to get past this is with full file encryption with file name obfuscation.  Just ask any of the anime encoder groups that had their drives nuked.  The cloud is not safe, unless it's your own cloud, on your own hardware, like own cloud or next cloud.

• Agree 1

miangacu
20 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Just because it's your personal OneDrive doesn't mean you own the data.  Microsoft can and will at their discretion nuke your drive, your files, whatever they want as you are violating their TOS.  If you do not have your own files hosted at home, you do not own them, period.  MS, Google, et al do use deduping software to check file hashes, and they do remove files that are known to them to be against their TOS.  The only way to get past this is with full file encryption with file name obfuscation.  Just ask any of the anime encoder groups that had their drives nuked.  The cloud is not safe, unless it's your own cloud, on your own hardware, like own cloud or next cloud.

Thanks for the clarification!. Let's see if someone can help me choosing a dedicated server.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, miangacu said:

Up!

Hi, there's a few similar topics here that might help you: