Need to refresh guide to get live tv feed

OBXMan
Go to solution Solved by OBXMan,

OBXMan

I have 3 sources for Live TV, HDHomeRun for OTA, TVHeadend m3u that collects live TV from a HDHomeRun Prime, and a ChannelsDVR m3u.  I get Guide data from Emby and a Channels DVR xmltv file. When its all set up it works great....for a short while.  I have guide data for 7 days showing in emby and all the channels from all 3 sources seem to work fine.  However after a short period of time (haven't figure out what triggers it for sure but feels like it is on the half hour), the channels from the TVHeadEnd just spin and do not connect.  The OTA and Channels DVR are fine. All I have to do to fix it is do a guide refresh and they work again.....for a short amount of time.  

Same result on Roku TV and my computer so I don't think its a device thing.

Not sure what to think on this one.  Thanks in advance for any assistance in troubleshooting this.

embyserver (1).txt

Hi, does something in the tvh m3u expire and require it to be updated periodically?

OBXMan

Not that I am aware of.  I updated the hardware where I run emby so doing a reinstall of my software on it.  The hardware where the tvhe is running was not changed.  Used this setup for a long time successfully so I don't believe that is it.

OBXMan

Here is more information on my set up that may help.  I have emby installed in a LXC container on a proxmox server.  I connect to a remote pi via a wireguard connection.  On the pi is tvhe that connects to an hdhr prime that resides on the remote local network.  The only difference from my old setup is that I just had an ubuntu server rather than proxmox.  I did nothing to the pi.  The old setup worked great for about 2 years.  I updated some hardware and moved to proxmox and am now paying the price I guess.....

After your question, I VNC into my pi to see if I could tell if there were any issues on that end.  From the tvhe application every channel I checked opened immediately. When I clicked on the channel in tvhe, it creates a link that I click on and it opens a VLC window that plays the channel.  The status each time looked exactly like it does when emby is working.  I spun up an emby server on the pi and connected it directly to the hdhr.  It appears to experience the same problem as my proxmox emby.  I started to think maybe it was the hdhr but if that was the case, then I wouldn't think the tvhe would work.

I'd say it was something with the way emby was connecting to live tv sources, but that doesn't seem to be it either since channels dvr and my local hdhr with the OTA are working perfectly,

Not sure where to look next.  

• Solution
OBXMan

While I have not solved the mystery, I have solved the problem.  I installed a second channelsdvr server at the remote site, and since it will also input the hdhr and create a m3u, I used that feed instead of the tvhe.  So far it is working perfectly.  So while I have not touched that tvhe in a very long time, Luke, you may have been correct that it was something with the tvheadend.

I may go back at some point and see if I can figure out what it was, but for now, I think I will declare success and watch some TV! 

• Thanks 1