bug report: Chinese characters display incorrectly in win10 english

yzxvw

My windows system language is english. language for non-unicode programs set to simplified chinese.

emby player cant display srt subtitles correctly. It seems that the player uses 2 different fonts for characters.

emby build-in player

image.thumb.png.d38ce12c205535721053334defbf9330.png

potplayer

image.thumb.png.9dc84aee3f67079aac845cf36b1a3569.png

Edited by yzxvw

just checked traditional chinese subs, it has no such issue. i think maybe emby use traditional chinese font for simplified chinese?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, in your screenshot, which characters are wrong? Are you sure it's wrong, or do you just not like the font?

i tagged those 3 characters with red line. they are using a different font than others. its not about what i like it or not

image.thumb.png.d38ce12c205535721053334defbf9330.jpg

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, in your screenshot, which characters are wrong? Are you sure it's wrong, or do you just not like the font?

im pretty sure its wrong. i asked a guy he said maybe emby uses traditional font for this subtitles which are simplified chinese, so it lacks correspond font to show it correctly. so it shows those characters in default font

Edited by yzxvw

I think the issue is that we're not including a font at all in the theater windows app, so I'm guessing the mpv player is just using registered fonts on the machine.

i dont think potplayer has build-in fonts either, so its more like mpv didnt get info from emby client that which language( traditional/simpified) those subs are and uses traditional font as default?

Edited by yzxvw

yeah i just played this file on a mpv win version, same result. its a mpv's bug

Edited by yzxvw

I think mpv will say it's not a bug and that you just need to bring your own font file. From Emby's perspective, we need to embed the same font into the app that we use with other apps.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

I think mpv will say it's not a bug and that you just need to bring your own font file. From Emby's perspective, we need to embed the same font into the app that we use with other apps.

these subs are srt which means it has no font needed. also traditonal subs are totally fine. they are both srt files

i reported this issue to mpv's github

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/11625

mpv can't digtinguish simplified/traditional subs currently. it using traditional font preferentially causes this issue.

it seems they knew this issue but the pr is not merged yet

https://github.com/libass/libass/pull/607

So for now I have to manually set font for chinese simplified subs. Is it possible to set it in emby theater?

@Luke

Edited by yzxvw

temp fix: 

add a mpv.conf in %AppData%\Roaming\mpv\ contains:

sub-font                       = "Source Han Sans CN"

to force it using a specific font

• Thanks 1