DS220+ password reset help!

Bc871

I tried the search, didn’t find anything that helped.  I have a DS220+, and Emby installed fine, have the libraries loaded etc no issue.  My password for some reason doesnt work and to reset I have to go to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt.  I have seen this in the searches, saying to ssh in, but that’s beyond my know how.  I am on a Mac and iPhone, and for the life of me cannot find an easy way to,access this on the Synology.  Is there an “easy” way to access this on Synology? Thanks so much in advance!,!

Thanks.  I was able to log in, but I don’t know command codes. Do I just copy that reset link?  Any recommendations for an app that can do this as well?

coming from using plex, this is a disappointment with Emby. Password just stopped working and then it’s this difficult to reset.  

appreciate any help to make this less painful 

Eigeplackter

It's a steep learning cuve using SSL but it's worth the time. I really enjoy it, since I own the Synology.

After "sudo -i" you type

nano /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt

Nano is a plain text editor. Now you seek the line in the code (arrow wheels, no mouse) and edit the lines which you found for

password reset.

Than you press "Alt+x" to finish the edit process, "y" to save and "enter" to confirm saving to the offered/original filename.

Logout and exit.

bcunic871

No, I am still lost.  I was able to SSH in, but from there, tried the steps above, nothing has been working.

Getting this :

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt: Permission denied

its extremely bizarre, It only now shows the administrator user, the one user I had made is wiped out, and the admin password will not work (That I had).  whole process is much more difficult than expected.  I don't use terminal often so that's a big part of the problem

Eigeplackter

Are you mixing up DSM (Synology) and Emby here ?

You login via SSH - works

now type "sudo -i" enter your standard Synology user password, if you are member of the administrator group, otherwise the Synology root password,

that you set when initially installing Synology.

Afterwards your screen should look something like this (here Win, you MacOS):

image.thumb.jpeg.c7accf44b4aefb76af150a0b5093f6f8.jpeg

If that's not working and you are still denied access to the file, I dare to say there was some kind of hw fault of your synology volume.

Are you using JBOD, RAID1 or RAID0 with 2 discs ?

Eigeplackter

I miss the „sudo -i“ in your screenshot it looks just like a regular user login w/o elevated rights.

Additionally the path doesnt seem to be correct.

var/services/homes??

should be

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/

But you dont need to change directory, you can just type the path within the command.

1 Line:

„nano /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt„

bcunic871

First of all thank you so much for spending all this time here, means a ton to me!  I did as you said, it doesn't like the nano command? 

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 1.19.19 PM.png

Eigeplackter

Ah my bad, for nano you need to install a package.

Try "vim" instead of nano, this should come with synology ssh and doesnt need a seperate package.

Edited by Eigeplackter

bcunic871

Thought we may have had it.  I can still log into Emby just not my Admin account.  If corrupt shouldn't he whole thing be not accessible?  So bizarre

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 1.58.07 PM.png

Eigeplackter

Something is FUBAR in your installation 😕

It says "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var does not exist" following is a screenshot of that directory on my synology.

If this directory doesnt exist I'm at loss how to fix your problem as that's the heart of the emby installation.

image.thumb.png.1511173c8736767ee9c2a793aa194932.png

You might try to follow the instructions in this older topic, to map the directory to the gui.

Did you click "Forgot password" on the login page with your admin account ?

bcunic871

I did the forgot password a few times.  I really appreciate your help, I am not sure if  uninstalling and reinstalling will help our if I will lost everything I have done on it already?

Eigeplackter

If you just uninstall the emby server via package center you media won't be affected.

Than I'd probably reboot the Synology and afterwards install the latest stable from website via package center as Synology is sometimes a bit behind releasing stable versions.

You will have to configure from scratch, if you don't have any sort of backup (Server Configuration Backup needs emby premier membership).

But I think you should probably due a smart check of your volumes before you invest the time.

I still think at least 1 drive is corrupted and might need a replacement.

Maybe think about spending money on 2 identical (bigger) drives (i.e. 16TB WD Red Pro) put one in an external closure and save everything from

the Synology to one of those drives, incl. backup of Synology config (Hyper Backup App).

Than replace the old drives with the 2nd new drive and restore the Synology to that drive, copy files back,...

Final step, place 2nd drive into Synology (the ext. backup one) and build a RAID 1, yes it's going to cut the usable size to 50%,

but at least it should save you the hassle, if it's not the drives but the Synology itself.

bcunic871

Thank you!  Drives and Synology are literally weeks old, identical 8TB drives.  I will try the scan, but it seems like an install issue.  thank you again!!

Edited by bcunic871