.ass subtitles not working and prevents video from playing.

Maarten

Maarten

Windows 10, latest emby server

problem on: iOS app, iOS web app, Samsung Smart tv app

When I try to play a external .mkv (.strm file) that got .ass subtitles, the video won’t play. If I disable subtitles it will play.

Other subtitle formats are playing Oke.(picture: Doom Patrol) 

when I disable in-stream subtitles in Diagnostics Options plugin the videos play, but won’t show subtitles. (picture: Truth Seekers)

EBF19261-EA61-4A05-AB1F-013492577308.jpeg

4908F789-0268-4A74-A8B4-8D8F2187182E.jpeg

Edited by Maarten

Hi, can you try resetting this customization to default and see if it helps:

>>>>>  Non-Default Encoder Parameters
Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.Preset: Original: veryfast Actual: faster

Thanks.

Maarten

Default = auto

Changed it back to “auto” but the same problem. 

Could it be something with windows 10? It could not be ffmpeg because Emby uses its own version. Video drivers are updated (from source and not windows updates).

I think I need to install Emby on another system to test if my problems are gone 😬 someone got a suggestion how to do it fast and easy? 🫣 Can I test on a Ubuntu usb stick and hit the “try Ubuntu” or will that not be enough to run Emby?

Edited by Maarten

In server transcoding settings, did you uncheck the option to allow on the fly subtitle extraction? Try rechecking that and see if it helps.

Maarten

Same problem.

but when I lower my localnetwork bitrate. It is forcing transcode and subtitles works great 💪🏻 is there a solution to force transcode but don’t loose quality? 😬 some videos I need to lower as 720p to become under the original bitrate.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:56 PM, Maarten said:

Same problem.

Can you please provide a log example of that? Thanks !

Maarten

I have solved it (some bit). I extract the subtitles from every .mkv url/file and that way the “hard” copy of the subtitles will be played. Working great but fives problems with other container formats. That is solved by editing the player settings to save the subtitle track per video.

Hi, you shouldn't have to do that. Can we please see the log example that was requested? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
holdengray180

I also seem to be having some issues with .ass subtitles. It will work if I enable the option to "allow subtitle extraction on the fly" but I prefer having the video just burn them into the video, as the results tend to be hit or miss for me with that feature enabled. With the extraction on the fly option disabled, it no longer seems to play the video. It will attempt to play the video for a while, and then it seems to give up and shows the no compatible streams message. Have tested it with a few different videos, all with the same results. Plex for comparison is able to burn the subtitles in very quickly, without the problem, but I prefer using emby so would like to see if there's a way to get it working for me.

Maarten
On 4/23/2023 at 8:29 PM, Luke said:

Hi, you shouldn't have to do that. Can we please see the log example that was requested? Thanks.

I think it is a problem from the video source. I’m using .strm that are done from converted .m3u8 iptv file. They shrink and do stuff with some videos to reduse file sizes (I think). Even when I try the direct video url in safari on iPhone i get somewhat the same problem (no subtitles). 

it seems somehow that the subs file gets disconnected from the video file. Sometimes i see with SUBRIP subtitles that subs not showing, shows again but couple lines behind the actual audio and you see the subs speedup to get at the same time as the audio. Going fine and dropped subs again.

BUT!!!!! When I use crappy iptv only apps, I have no problems 🫣 I think my iptv host uses Smarter IPTV as a standard for their stuff.

4 hours ago, Maarten said:

I think it is a problem from the video source. I’m using .strm that are done from converted .m3u8 iptv file. They shrink and do stuff with some videos to reduse file sizes (I think). Even when I try the direct video url in safari on iPhone i get somewhat the same problem (no subtitles). 

it seems somehow that the subs file gets disconnected from the video file. Sometimes i see with SUBRIP subtitles that subs not showing, shows again but couple lines behind the actual audio and you see the subs speedup to get at the same time as the audio. Going fine and dropped subs again.

BUT!!!!! When I use crappy iptv only apps, I have no problems 🫣 I think my iptv host uses Smarter IPTV as a standard for their stuff.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

• 4 months later...
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

How does the web app compare when playing the same video that you sent a log for?

The web app won’t even play the subtitles 😅 but the iOS apps works great.

1 hour ago, Maarten said:

The web app won’t even play the subtitles 😅 but the iOS apps works great.

Testing on the web app, I made an strm out of your video url and the subtitles are showing up for me just fine. I'm testing with the 4.8 beta server though, so that could be having an impact.

On my 4.7.14.0 also, don’t know why. Maybe because I updated my video card driver. But whatever, still the same problems on Samsung tv 😣

19 hours ago, Luke said:

I would suggest trying again following the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

Yeah, i have waited before on updates. They did not make me happy.

so the best thing is to create myself some solution. I have, when I use a python reverse proxy script. But than seeking won’t work on Samsung tv, but works on iOS devices 🙄

Maybe you know some headers or something I can try/use? When calling the reverse proxy from within iPad or tv I get no headers back 🫣 is that because I don’t know what I’m doing or are there no headers send?

Just now, Maarten said:

Yeah, i have waited before on updates. They did not make me happy.

so the best thing is to create myself some solution. I have, when I use a python reverse proxy script. But than seeking won’t work on Samsung tv, but works on iOS devices 🙄

Maybe you know some headers or something I can try/use? When calling the reverse proxy from within iPad or tv I get no headers back 🫣 is that because I don’t know what I’m doing or are there no headers send?

I would suggest comparing your reverse proxy setup to this: 

It's ngnix, which might be different from what you're using, but most reverse proxies have similar settings.

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

I would suggest comparing your reverse proxy setup to this: 

It's ngnix, which might be different from what you're using, but most reverse proxies have similar settings.

😧 o my, yeah. Than you can do whatever you want i see 😅 but this is a bit overkill (I hope). I just need the external URLs to be transcoded, even when direct play is possible. That will solve the subtitle problems for me.