EdBarnes

EdBarnes

I was lucky to have my internet fail again and this time it was down for a couple of days.  Great news; I have emby,  bad news I want to watch live TV (HD homerun) or even my dvr.  Emby said no way.  No internet, no live TV.  Is there  a workaround for this?  I have a lifetime membership.

9 hours ago, EdBarnes said:

Emby said no way. 

What, exactly, happened?  What app/device were you trying to use?

• 3 months later...
AddieDad

Hi, saw this post and found it to be similar to my recent experience from Yesterday.  Our internet was mostly out (about 80% ping packet success) on July 10th, starting sometime in the early morning until sometime that evening.  (Sorry not to have exact times, but when the internet is down, we move on with our lives).  I went to view LiveTV through our TV+Roku+Emby App fed by our Emby 4.7.13.0 running on Windows 10 server and was told I needed Emby Premier to view it.  I have a lifetime Premiere subscription. ("Status: You have a Lifetime Emby Premiere plan and your device usage is well within your limit.")  Attached is the log for July 10th, the day of our internet issue.  Since the internet service is back to "normal", LiveTV has been working well.  LiveTV is fed by NextPVR driving a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2600.  Let me know if you need anything else.

embyserver-63824630400.txt ffmpeg-transcode-296fbea0-2425-476c-94fe-56c2f904415f_1.txt

EdBarnes

My issue seemed to be dhvp.  My ip address and gateway would drop and my emby server and HDTV would get confused.  After hard coding them it seems to work.  Slso the watching TV must be hard-coded as well.

My isp was regularly changing my ip addresses on the inside of my house confusing things.  This had to do with google nest requiring a double nat.  

All of my required devices no longer use wifi because of this 

17 hours ago, AddieDad said:

Our internet was mostly out (about 80% ping packet success) on July 10th

Prior to that, when was the last time you watched Live TV from the same device you tried this time?

AddieDad

I use DHCP with reservations, so I don't think IP address change is a factor in my situation.

AddieDad
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

Prior to that, when was the last time you watched Live TV from the same device you tried this time?

Hmmm, probably about 2 weeks prior, but I can't say for sure.  It might have been before that.  If I have to do a weekly "touch" of Live TV to make sure it works without an internet connection, I may not have the discipline to do so.

5 minutes ago, AddieDad said:

Hmmm, probably about 2 weeks prior, but I can't say for sure.  It might have been before that.  If I have to do a weekly "touch" of Live TV to make sure it works without an internet connection, I may not have the discipline to do so.

Okay, yes, that would be why.  We do cache the check for a week or so to allow for temporary internet downtime.  Much longer than that and it doesn't function very well as a validation.

AddieDad
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, yes, that would be why.  We do cache the check for a week or so to allow for temporary internet downtime.  Much longer than that and it doesn't function very well as a validation.

Can you not use a daemon or service to perform a license check on a reoccurring basis rather than requiring a user to use a feature at a minimum interval to keep it licensed?

On 7/12/2023 at 10:12 AM, AddieDad said:

Can you not use a daemon or service to perform a license check on a reoccurring basis rather than requiring a user to use a feature at a minimum interval to keep it licensed?

The check being done in this instance is for the device count so it is particular to the feature and device in question.  We wouldn't want to do that if you aren't actually using the device.

AddieDad
55 minutes ago, ebr said:

The check being done in this instance is for the device count so it is particular to the feature and device in question.  We wouldn't want to do that if you aren't actually using the device.

I wasn't aware frequent usage was a prerequisite for the lifetime Premier license feature set.  Regardless of the last time I use a feature, if I have invested in the lifetime license, which I have, I would expect that feature to work when called upon.  Maybe there should better expectations set so that future potential licensed users know they have to exercise all additionally licensed features at some regular interval so that those features work when they don't have internet access at that particular time.   Or Emby could change their feature set licensing check to grant a longer grace period if the previous licensing check track record has been positive?  Take DHCP for example; halfway through a lease period, it checks with the DHCP server for its existence.  If the DHCP client doesn't find the DHCP server, it does NOT revoke the IP immediately, but retries later or at the end of the lease.  This grace period type of approach would seem more user friendly.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware frequent usage was a prerequisite for the lifetime Premier license feature set.

It shouldn't be, so we should look at improving this. Thanks.

• Like 1