Emby 7 packages vs 72

Racerprose

Racerprose

So it looks like you can install and run Emby Synology7 packages just fine on Synology DSM 7.2 beta, so is there any pros/cons at this point of not using the Synology72 packages? @Luke

Racerprose
Just now, Luke said:

Hi, that’s strange. Last we tried it was not possible. 

Interesting. Maybe you can't with the latest betas? On 4.7 it seems you can

• 5 weeks later...
DarWun
On 4/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, Luke said:

Hi, that’s strange. Last we tried it was not possible. 

It didn't work for me when I tried it over the weekend. I updated to DSM 7.2, and Emby would no longer run. I had the latest 7 package for one of the recent betas, and tried to install it (after tweaking the info file in the SPK to make Package Center think it was a more recent version than the one already installed). Package Center said it was not compatible. So I downloaded the 7.2 package and manually installed it. Package Center completed the update without an issue.

• Thanks 1

DarWun

@LukeHere's something that might be of interest (which your team probably already knows). It might actually be possible to use the synology7.spk package to install Emby on a Synology NAS running DSM7.2 (at least on the DS918+). I compared the content of the INFO file in both the synology7 and synology72 packages. The INFO file from the synology7 package included the following lines:

• os_min_ver="7.0-40000"
  • os_max_ver="7.2-63134"

Whereas the INFO file from the synology72 package only included:

• os_min_ver="7.2-63134"

I edited the lines in synology7 INFO file to match what was in the synology72 INFO file. After doing so, I was able to install the synology7 package manually through Package Center under DSM7.2. Prior to doing that Package Center would not install it.

Of course, the fact that I was able to install it does not necessarily mean Emby is working. It opened without an issue after this little experiment and has been running for about an hour now. Everything seems okay and I'm not seeing any weird errors in the log file. But I'll keep an eye on it and report back with my findings.

Edited by DarWun
  • Thanks 1

Brecon

Exactly what I have at the moment, But Emby will only run for about 15 seconds and then says manual switch off. Until upgrade everything was running great 

Racerprose

I only had issues with Emby 4.8 beta. As I understand it, 4.8 has compatibility issues with DSM.

I would not recommend the 4.8 betas for Synology users until things get figured out.

Edited by Racerprose

Brecon

Yeah I've tried them all. but the same problem...Emby will only run for 15 secomds until manual switch off. I'm having to use plex at the moment and I hate it. But where do I go from here. What is the next step to try. 

DarWun
1 minute ago, Brecon said:

Exactly what I have at the moment, But Emby will only run for about 15 seconds and then says manual switch off. Until upgrade everything was running great 

@BreconJust so I'm clear, are you running the stable or the beta version of Emby? Based on your post in another thread, I thought you were trying to upgrade on Beta 4.8.0.x. If you are trying to upgrade on the stable 4.7 version, then my feedback was probably not relevant. I upgraded to DSM7.2 while using the Beta version of Emby. I have no experience using the stable version  of Emby on DSM7.2. 

Racerprose
2 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Yeah I've tried them all. but the same problem...Emby will only run for 15 secomds until manual switch off. I'm having to use plex at the moment and I hate it. But where do I go from here. What is the next step to try. 

I had to totally uninstall Emby 4.8 and rebuild my Emby server from scratch

Sadly, there is no easy way to downgrade with Emby. To be fair, the BETAs did mention downgrading would not be possible. 4.8 seems to be very different from a development perspective.

Edited by Racerprose

DarWun
8 minutes ago, Racerprose said:

I only had issues with Emby 4.8 beta. As I understand it, 4.8 has compatibility issues with DSM.

I would not recommend the 4.8 betas for Synology users until things get figured out.

Again, I had no issues with Beta 4.8.0.34 on DSM 7.2. Maybe I got lucky. Sorry you are having issues. I had major problems with Emby after upgrading to 7.1 way back when. So I can definitely commiserate.

Edited by DarWun

Racerprose
3 minutes ago, DarWun said:

Again, I had no issues with Beta 4.8.0.34 on DSM 7.2. Maybe I got lucky. Sorry you are having issues.

The issues with 4.8 and DSM were with if I recall 4.8.25 or .26.

I have no issues currently, however, I have chosen to not run BETA builds anymore as you are running the risk of something bad happening and not being able to fix it which is what happened.

Edited by Racerprose

Brecon
4 minutes ago, DarWun said:

@BreconJust so I'm clear, are you running the stable or the beta version of Emby? Based on your post in another thread, I thought you were trying to upgrade on Beta 4.8.0.x. If you are trying to upgrade on the stable 4.7 version, then my feedback was probably not relevant. I upgraded to DSM7.2 while using the Beta version of Emby. I have no experience using the stable version  of Emby on DSM7.2. 

I upgraded like you using the latest beta and thats when i realised that Emby would not run. So i just uninstalled emby and installed a stable version but still the same problem...Emby will only run for 15 secs

Racerprose
Just now, Brecon said:

I upgraded like you using the latest beta and thats when i realised that Emby would not run. So i just uninstalled emby and installed a stable version but still the same problem...Emby will only run for 15 secs

Sounds like you are basically having the same problem as talked about here:

Brecon
5 minutes ago, Racerprose said:

I had to totally uninstall Emby 4.8 and rebuild my Emby server from scratch

Sadly, there is no easy way to downgrade with Emby. To be fair, the BETAs did mention downgrading would not be possible. 4.8 seems to be very different from a development perspective.

This is what I'm thinking i will have to do, but because i'm not to savay i,m not quite sure how to delete all the emby files in Volume 1/@appstore to be able to rebild Emby 

Racerprose
Just now, Brecon said:

This is what I'm thinking i will have to do, but because i'm not to savay i,m not quite sure how to delete all the emby files in Volume 1/@appstore to be able to rebild Emby 

Unless you know how to command-line navigate your Synology, it is next to impossible. I am not a fan of how Emby installs on Synology. With Plex, nothing is hidden away and you can do an easy fresh install, but with Emby is more a big process.

Brecon
3 minutes ago, Racerprose said:

Sounds like you are basically having the same problem as talked about here:

I upgraded to 7.2 RC but prior to that I was only the latest 7.1 and being a beta tester was on the latest beta version

Brecon
3 minutes ago, Racerprose said:

Unless you know how to command-line navigate your Synology, it is next to impossible. I am not a fan of how Emby installs on Synology. With Plex, nothing is hidden away and you can do an easy fresh install, but with Emby is more a big process.

Yes I must agree there, unless you know what your doing its difficult to start a fresh copy of Emby. Its a nightmare for me having to go back to remember how to delete all the files via ssh and i dont have admin activated, so I need to find a way to get back into that, Its a complete nightmare for me

Brecon
16 minutes ago, DarWun said:

Again, I had no issues with Beta 4.8.0.34 on DSM 7.2. Maybe I got lucky. Sorry you are having issues. I had major problems with Emby after upgrading to 7.1 way back when. So I can definitely commiserate.

I think your right, Its down to pure luck. But thank you for helping 

Brecon
10 minutes ago, Racerprose said:

I just feel so comfortable with Emby, when its running OK. I does all the things I want, just wish uninstalling was not so difficult 

• 2 weeks later...
DarWun
On 5/3/2023 at 4:46 PM, DarWun said:

@LukeHere's something that might be of interest (which your team probably already knows). It might actually be possible to use the synology7.spk package to install Emby on a Synology NAS running DSM7.2 (at least on the DS918+). I compared the content of the INFO file in both the synology7 and synology72 packages. The INFO file from the synology7 package included the following lines:

• os_min_ver="7.0-40000"
  • os_max_ver="7.2-63134"

Whereas the INFO file from the synology72 package only included:

• os_min_ver="7.2-63134"

I edited the lines in synology7 INFO file to match what was in the synology72 INFO file. After doing so, I was able to install the synology7 package manually through Package Center under DSM7.2. Prior to doing that Package Center would not install it.

Of course, the fact that I was able to install it does not necessarily mean Emby is working. It opened without an issue after this little experiment and has been running for about an hour now. Everything seems okay and I'm not seeing any weird errors in the log file. But I'll keep an eye on it and report back with my findings.

@LukeI updated to Emby Beta 4.8.0.35 from 4.8.0.34 on my Synology DS918+ NAS running DSM7.2 using the Synology7 package with the INFO file tweaked to override os_min_ver. Again, no apparent issues. After several hours of using Emby everything seems good.

I've attached the log that captures the update plus the subsequent usage.

embyserver.txt

• Thanks 1