4.7.11.0 totally screwed everything up

mchahn
Go to solution Solved by mchahn,

mchahn

I just upgraded to 4.7.11.0 and now my web client only shows Next Up and that shows only one old random series.  My custom app that uses the api sees nothing.  How do I go back to old version?  Can I just use old installer?

Emby 4.7.11.0

Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

Happy2Play

Upgraded from what?  That version has been out for about 5 months now.

mchahn

I meant to upgrade to 4.8.0.21 but I accidentally ran the old "installer emby-server-deb_4.7.11.0_amd64.deb".  That was when I saw the screw-up. 

I just now ran the old installer again thinking I was downgrading and everything is still screwed up.  So I've run that twice.  I'll try upgarding to 4.8.0.21 now and see it that fixes it.  Luckily I have a backup of all the data.

mchahn

The upgrade to 4.8.0.21 fixed everything.  It is really weird that installing that old version over itself did so much damage.  I even upgraded my Ubuntu and rebooted and the problem persisted.  Doing that install again didn't fix anything.

I guess all's well that ends well.  Sorry for the trouble.

2 minutes ago, mchahn said:

The upgrade to 4.8.0.21 fixed everything.  It is really weird that installing that old version over itself did so much damage.  I even upgraded my Ubuntu and rebooted and the problem persisted.  Doing that install again didn't fix anything.

Hi, it’s because the old version doesn’t understand the changes created by the newer one.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, mchahn said:

It is really weird that installing that old version over itself did so much damage

As reported in Testing area there were Database changes in 4.8.0.21 and downgrading was not possible without starting from scratch.

Overall you should never downgrade beta to stable until version is released stable.

Edited by Happy2Play

• Solution
mchahn

I didn't do any back-grading.  As I said, I accidentally installed the old over the old.  That caused the problem.  And then I installed the old a second time.  I never installed the new before the old.

And after installing the old over the old the dashboard correctly showed that I had the old version but weirdly it didn't show the message saying to upgrade to the new.  This whole thing started when I saw the message to upgrade.

Anyway, I just upgraded to 4.8.0.21 and that fixed everything.  It is really weird that installing that old version over itself did so much damage.  I even upgraded my Ubuntu and rebooted and the problem persisted.  Doing that install again didn't fix anything.

• Thanks 1

mchahn

It just occured to me that I might have already upgraded past 4.7.11.0 before and forgotten.   4.7.11.0  was the last in my downloads folder.  Is there a way to delete this thread?