Hardware transcoding supported with Premiere for DS1621+ (Ryzen)?

kwirky88

kwirky88

What sort of hardware transcoding is supported if I get the premiere subscription for my emby installation on my Synology DS1621+ (Ryzen CPU)?  I've installed emby for my Synology DSM 6 using the package provided by emby.  It's a ryzen cpu and it's not very clear what sort of hardware support there is and I'd like to know for sure before buying the lifetime emby license.  Thanks!

Eigeplackter

None, but Emby is not at fault.

Synology decided to drop Intel-CPUs with iGPU for Ryzen CPUs w/o iGPU in 21.

The Ryzens have an iGPU option, but its not supported/activated by DSM/Synology. 23 Line-up has the same problem, even after moving from 1500B to 1700 Ryzen.

No iGPU = no HW transcoding.

• Like 2

Eigeplackter

Update: Bot going to help the TO, but interesting nontheless.

Seems as Synology heard the prosumers outrage about no more models with iGPU and decided to launch the DS423+ with the known Intel Celeron CPU incl. iGPU !

To be honest it looks like a castrated DS920+ (same 2019/2020 CPU) w/o the option to expand disk amount via DX517.

And RAM is officially capped at 6GB, as the first slot is a moldet 2GB.

kwirky88

I see that the synology's CPU usage is 0-1% when I use the emby theater app to watch the content, which I'm assuming is because it's not having to transcode the video and audio.  I'll see how that goes because avoiding a transcode and playing the original files means I'll have higher quality playback anyways.  I've confirmed that the CPU usage is near zero for both emby theater for windows as well as the emby app for android TV (nvidia shield).

• Thanks 1