Scheduled not showing all entries

csadoian

csadoian

I recently cut the cord with Xfinity and have been using Roku with Emby  more than I have in the past.

I noticed from the Live TV menu, if you select "scheduled" the Roku app does not show everything that's actually scheduled to be recorded (or it shows more).  For example, as I write this if I use my Emby Theater app to view the schedule it (correctly) shows 5 shows to be recorded.  However, when using the Roku app it only shows the first two.  The next day there are 8 shows on the schedule to be recorded, but the Roku only says there are 6.  On Monday there are 9 shows scheduled, the Roku shows 12!

Also, on the Roku the scheduled shows seem to be displayed out of order.  On Monday (the day with 9 shows scheduled) the Roku lists them starting with a program that airs at 5:30p, followed by 4 others programs in the evening, then it lists programs starting at 5am the same day.

Edit:  I checked a little more closely and I see that on Monday (the day the Roku lists 12 scheduled recordings rather than the correct 9) it is putting 3 shows from the previous day at the front of the list on current day.  Clearly there is something going on with the Roku app and how it's sorting/displaying scheduled recordings.  It is not accurate at all on the Roku.

This is not a big deal since I usually check what's scheduled on my computer using Emby Theater.  But it would be nice if the Roku app would display a correct schedule.

If you need logs I can provide a server log and a couple of screenshots.  If you need me to generate a Roku log I can do that, also.

I am using a Roku 3 although it displays the same way on my Roku Express 4K+, which is newer.

Chuck

Hi.  Can we please see some screen shots of this specific example?

Thanks!

csadoian
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

So everything is fine in the web app?

Yes, it is fine in the web app.   It is also fine on the Emby Android app running on my Google Chromecast (2.0.83g) and also Emby for Android 3.9.92 running on my Samsung Tablet.  The only client I have experienced this on is the Roku.

I only recently started using the Roku on my main TV after I kicked Xfinity to the curb.  I'm teaching the wife how to access Emby and other streaming services through the Roku, but haven't received "wife approval" as of yet.  😀  In my office I use a Google Chromecast, which seems to be a lot smoother than the Roku (with regards to Emby), but it's remote is limited.  I need a remote that can operate the streaming device, TV on/off and my sound bar.  I bought a third party Roku style remote from Amazon that has a "learning" function that accomplishes that, but I didn't see anything similar for the Chromecast, other than getting one of those more expensive universal learning remotes with a thousand buttons on it.

• Thanks 1

csadoian

Another thing I've noticed that is slightly more irritating 🙂 is that when a program is being recorded, the Roku app doesn't really give you an indication that a recording is taking place.  As an example, a program is being recorded now.  The home screen on the Roku doesn't indicate this at all.  Emby Theater shows "active recordings" right on the home page.  On the Roku, if I go to "Live TV" and select "Recordings", the program that is being recorded is shown as the first Tile, but there is no indication that it is CURRENTLY being recorded.  This faked me out the other night when I was looking for something to watch, saw the program in the "Recordings" section, and selected it.  It started playing, but I couldn't fast forward it at all.  I was puzzled until I finally realized it was in the PROCESS of being recorded, so it was acting like a live channel.  I finally went to the grid guide and I could see the program name along with the red dot to indicate it was being recorded at that time.

Now that I know how the app is displaying in progress recordings (or lack thereof) I can work around it, but it's taken some getting used to and is delaying the "wife approval"  process.  😉

Gilgamesh_48
4 hours ago, csadoian said:

Another thing I've noticed that is slightly more irritating 🙂 is that when a program is being recorded, the Roku app doesn't really give you an indication that a recording is taking place.  As an example, a program is being recorded now.  The home screen on the Roku doesn't indicate this at all.  Emby Theater shows "active recordings" right on the home page.  On the Roku, if I go to "Live TV" and select "Recordings", the program that is being recorded is shown as the first Tile, but there is no indication that it is CURRENTLY being recorded.  This faked me out the other night when I was looking for something to watch, saw the program in the "Recordings" section, and selected it.  It started playing, but I couldn't fast forward it at all.  I was puzzled until I finally realized it was in the PROCESS of being recorded, so it was acting like a live channel.  I finally went to the grid guide and I could see the program name along with the red dot to indicate it was being recorded at that time.

Now that I know how the app is displaying in progress recordings (or lack thereof) I can work around it, but it's taken some getting used to and is delaying the "wife approval"  process.  😉

Maybe the lack of a recording display indicator on the Roku is because the Roku is not recording anything. The server does the recording and the Roku is not a server.

csadoian
2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Maybe the lack of a recording display indicator on the Roku is because the Roku is not recording anything. The server does the recording and the Roku is not a server.

Of course I know the recording is taking place on the server, but Emby clients will communicate with the server and display this type of information.  I use Emby Theater for Windows, Emby Theater for Linux, Emby for Android and Emby for IOS and the Emby web app and they all show this information so I assumed Emby for Roku would do the same.

However, I do realize the Roku has a very "restrictive" OS, so it may be difficult for the developers to implement these functions on the Roku and have them work reliably.

After cutting the cord recently I made the choice (unfortunately perhaps) to go with Roku as the streaming boxes I use in my house.  I'm beginning to think I should have gone with a Chromecast with Google TV.   The Android app for Emby that runs on it is so much cleaner than the Roku and seems to operate more reliably.  But I really don't like the remote that comes with the Chromecast and I don't want to have to buy a fancy programmable one with a thousand buttons on it.

I have a Chromecast on my office TV and I'm thinking I might put it on the main TV temporarily and let the Wife use it for a while and see if she likes it better than the Roku.  If she does, I may just forget the Roku and buy another Chromecast and use that instead.

Gilgamesh_48
19 hours ago, csadoian said:

After cutting the cord recently I made the choice (unfortunately perhaps) to go with Roku as the streaming boxes I use in my house.  I'm beginning to think I should have gone with a Chromecast with Google TV.   The Android app for Emby that runs on it is so much cleaner than the Roku and seems to operate more reliably.  But I really don't like the remote that comes with the Chromecast and I don't want to have to buy a fancy programmable one with a thousand buttons on it.

I have several clients but I almost exclusively use my Rokus for viewing Emby content. But I just want "simple" and Roku is about the simplest client there is.
I do not like Chromecast at all and my Shield TV has become more "clumsy" to use as they added "features" and "improved" the user interface.
My Fire 4K stick is mostly OK and I use it exclusively for viewing live TV or DVR recordings through Emby.

The biggest problem I have with my Roku and live TV or DVR is that the playback on the Roku has little glitches that are sort of like pauses or skips. This is particularly noticeable when watching delayed content that is being recorded at the same time. Like watching a sporting match from the beginning when it started recording an hour in the past. The Fire TV handles that almost without problem but its user interface is quite clumsy for me to use.

In fact the only "complaint" I have with Emby on my Roku is the playback problems I run into for recorded (or recording) content. The Roku even glitches a bit when playing back recorded content even when there is no active recording in progress.

I would not enjoy TV as much if I only had one client. Each client has areas of weakness and strengths and I have found, for me, that a combo of Rokus and Fire sticks work the best for me. But I have a friend that only uses her Fire TV devices for everything and She finds no problem with the Fire's user interface. I guess that is why there is more than one client available for Emby.

I do wonder just a bit why a "recording" indicator matters on a client? But I guess there are people that manage their Emby set up from a client. I do all my Emby management, including setting up recordings and other DVR tasks, from the server itself as that is "best" for me.

Just remember there is no truly "best" client.
There is no client that is the "best:"

There is no,

One Client to rule them all, One client to find them,
One client to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Television where the Shadows lie.

The good thing is that decent clients are generally quite inexpensive so it is mostly practical for people to have more than one to make their watching of TV better.

However there is this:
"Television has brought back murder into the home - where it belongs." Alfred Hitchcock.