One-Click Edit Primary Image shortcut...

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

At the moment, to edit the primary image of a movie, tv-show, actor, season, whatever, we have to do the following steps:

1. Hover over the image
  2. click on the ellipsis (three dots)
  3. Then find and click on the Edit Images option (Position and No. of items on list varies)
  4. click on the magnifying glass on the Primary image.
  5. Finally we're at the Search for Images popup where we can select the image we want.

If we're trying to tidy up the season images for a long running show, so that they have matching themed images, this takes a LOT of clicks... so it's quite tedious.
Or we might just want to quickly change an actor's image to a more flattering one.

Instead, it would be awesome to just have a direct shortcut show up when we do the initial hover.  This would then reduce the steps taken.

1. Hover over the image
  2. Click on the Image Icon
  3. Then we're at the Search for Images popup where we can select the image we want.

This shortcut would just allow us to edit the this specific image.
The position could be in the free corner, next to the ellipsis, heart, check-box, wherever it fits.
The existing 'Edit Images' option remains on the ellipsis menu for the editing of all the other image types.

Context specific shortcuts really help speed things up.

24 minutes ago, topbanana said:

Context specific shortcuts really help speed things up

Hi.  I agree but the context here is only within the process you happen to be going through at this time.  Why is searching for a new image the most likely thing someone wants to do every time they view their library?

Guest topbanana
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I agree but the context here is only within the process you happen to be going through at this time.  Why is searching for a new image the most likely thing someone wants to do every time they view their library?

If you're administering it.

If the user has the authority to change images, then the extra shortcut could be displayed.  The same way that the the ellipsis menu changes, depending on whether the user has "Allow this user to manage the server" set.
Admins see different options to users.  

Just now, topbanana said:

If you're administering it.

If the user has the authority to change images, then the extra shortcut could be displayed.  The same way that the the ellipsis menu changes, depending on whether the user has "Allow this user to manage the server" set.
Admins see different options to users.  

But I'm an administrator and still 99% of my interaction with Emby is for playback and general use.  1% is administering.

Just because I have admin privileges doesn't mean I am doing admin tasks.

Guest topbanana
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

But I'm an administrator and still 99% of my interaction with Emby is for playback and general use.  1% is administering.

Just because I have admin privileges doesn't mean I am doing admin tasks.

?

But you have a whole ellipsis menu full of numerous admin options, when the user one only shows a handful.

At the moment, if i mouse-over an image, i get:

• The big green play button in the middle
  • A 'Multi-select' tick box in the top left
  • The ellipsis in the bottom right
  • 'Add to favourites' Heart bottom middle
  • 'Mark Played' tick in the bottom left.
  • It would be nice to have an image icon for 'Edit Primary Image' top right, say. 

This just gives very fast access to editing the image you're seeing, mousing over.

Admins should expect to see different thing to users.  And do.  Having these buttons and shortcuts available is expected.

If the admin tools, options are getting in the way, a separate user could be created perhaps.  Then switch.

Please find one of you own long running tv shows, that happens to have a wonky collection of season images, and try correcting them, choosing all the images of the same theme.  It's a lot of clicks!

Having context menus is very standard.  Allows for very quick access to the relevant settings, etc.

It would be nice if we could just click on an image's shortcut to edit that image.  Slick.

Hi.  Yes but my point is that the fact you want a shortcut to edit the image is just due to the context in which you happen to be working now.  Someone else may be editing genres, or actors or anything else.  And most of the time one will just be consuming their media.

Why should changing the image take top priority such that it should have a direct shortcut over any of those other administrative actions?

• 7 months later...
Guest topbanana
On 02/04/2023 at 00:49, ebr said:

Hi.  Yes but my point is that the fact you want a shortcut to edit the image is just due to the context in which you happen to be working now.  Someone else may be editing genres, or actors or anything else.  And most of the time one will just be consuming their media.

Why should changing the image take top priority such that it should have a direct shortcut over any of those other administrative actions?

Why?
It's not taking any priority.
Any image in emby already has 6 clickable, useful items available when you hover your mouse over it... All i'm talking about is adding a 7th.  So perhaps a 4th item along the bottom.
As an admin user, our job is to make the library tidy, complete, perfect.  And changing poster images is common.  So as an admin user, perhaps this 7th clickable item could be present for us.

Why?
To make administrating emby easier, quicker, more pleasant.  
You've added thousands of features that do just that.
This is just a request for one more.

Again, the example that a lot of people should identify with...  Long running drama/comedy shows, and their season posters!
When you have season folder showing, you get to see all the season posters... And often, 10 of the 20 are of one template/style, and the rest are a hotchpotch of different ones...  Now you have to go though and edit all these posters.  And it currently take a bloody lot of clicks!  Those clicks add up and are very, very frustrating.  Please!

I'm looking at a movie poster, or a season poster, or an actor's photo...  I want to change it.

Hover over the image, click the 'Edit THIS Image' button in the corner, pick the image i like better, done.