Feature Requests?

GregMo

GregMo

I'm guessing that this is the wrong place to ask for a feature request but I didn't see anywhere else to put it, and since this is strictly related to Android, thought it would go best here.  If not, I do apologize.

Is there any way that we might see the Android version request access to manage all files?

Declare the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in the manifest. Use the ACTION_MANAGE_ALL_FILES_ACCESS_PERMISSION intent action to direct users to a system settings page where they can enable the following option for your app: Allow access to manage all files.

If this were done, those of us trying to use phones would have much, MUCH more success.  I have an old phone that I have somehow managed to get access to the USB drive for Emby and it works quite well, but being an older phone it doesn't allow wireless charging and it means constant cable swapping and mounting/remounting the drive which isn't good for either the drive or the phone.  If Emby would just ask for this permission, it would work on at minimum, Android 10 through 13.

If there's anyone that wants to do a patch and have me alpha test it, I would be extremely happy to do so.  

GregMo

As an aside, I searched for "cheapest hardware to run emby on" and found a post suggesting Nvida to likely be the cheapest.  An old Android that someone already has lying around, or buys off of swappa, would be cheaper and likely more powerful.

GregMo

YMMV, but a work-around I have found that has worked now on a Motorola One 5G Ace on Android 11 and a Galaxy Note 9 on Android 10.  Don't ask me how/why this works, I just know that it has now worked for me on these two phones.  There is an app called "exFAT/NTFS for USB by Paragon" that seems to do the trick.  Here's where it gets odd.  Once you load the app and mount the USB drive in it, you can then unmount it and even remove the app and Emby can still see the USB drive.  Again, YMMV.

• 11 months later...
kakashi55
On 4/1/2023 at 8:53 AM, GregMo said:

There is an app called "exFAT/NTFS for USB by Paragon" that seems to do the trick. 

I downloaded this app by Paragon but couldn't get it to work. Emby server still can't see USB hdd. 

What path should I enter in Emby library ? 

I tried "/mnt/media_rw/A0865C97865C7030/Movies" but that didn't work.