Screen dims while playing movies

sbodley8

sbodley8

Hisense HG8 google tv when I'm playing a movie the screen dims. I don't have any energy saving settings on. I've noticed it also does it with my girlfriends Samsung tv using a Chromecast. After awhile the screen suddenly dims noticeably and I haven't found a setting to prevent it from happening. 

• 2 weeks later...
sbodley8

Thank you for the response. No not if I just hit a key, I have to back out to the library menu and restart the movie to fix it. Sometimes it will happen again shortly after sometimes not, very strange. Doesn't happy with any other streaming apps just Emby. 

wizbowes

Same issue here.  Movies and TV shows.  Happens when on pause quite a lot - but also whilst just watching. Chromecast With Google TV running Emby app

Edited by wizbowes

Just now, wizbowes said:

Happens when on pause quite a lot

That is by design - to reduce the chance of burn-in.

wizbowes
1 hour ago, ebr said:

That is by design - to reduce the chance of burn-in.

I assume the design should undim when youing start play again though.......

17 hours ago, wizbowes said:

I assume the design should undim when youing start play again though...

Correct.

We'd need to look at the exact sequence of events of an example of that not happening to try and figure out why.  I've never seen that happen...

• 2 weeks later...
sbodley8

It's happening both on my android TV and my mother's Chromecast as well as my girlfriends Chromecast. It happens during playback, not during a pause to prevent burn in. It's a noticeable dim that makes the picture hard to see. It seems to happen randomly sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. But I need to exit back to the library menu and restart playback to fix it. Definitely seems like more of a bug than a feature. Is there any way I can send logs when it happens to help figure out why this is happening. Thank you.

8 hours ago, sbodley8 said:

It seems to happen randomly sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't

Have you paused the video perhaps at some point the times that it happens?

8 hours ago, sbodley8 said:

Is there any way I can send logs when it happens

Yes.  Please see: 

Thanks

sbodley8

Thanks for the response. No, it only happens during playback at random it will suddenly go dark, it's not from pausing. There are others that have reported this issue, I've attached a screenshot of some reports. Thanks for the info I'll send a log, hopefully it will help identify what's going on. 

Screenshot_20230424-014946.png

7 hours ago, sbodley8 said:

it's not from pausing

Hi. I understand it isn't directly from being paused.  What I'm asking is have you ever paused the video during the playback session where this does occur?

TMCsw

I see this too…

for me it happens (occasionally) when I watch the evening news (live/delayed or recorded), But I want it to be quicker so I Hit playback correction (twice or sometimes more ) so I can increase the playback speed.

While I’m doing this emby may not be as quick as me, meaning it jumps back to the <play/pause> when I wanted to click on the gear to increase the speed...

so I probably an pause could/has/have happened,..

(server 22.04 , client fire 4k)

• 2 weeks later...
sbodley8
On 4/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, ebr said:

Hi. I understand it isn't directly from being paused.  What I'm asking is have you ever paused the video during the playback session where this does occur?

Yes I have paused during playback when this has happened but it has also happened not long after just starting to watch something without having paused at all. I also finally caught it happen and grabbed the log file for you. Should be right near the end as I paused right after and downloaded the log. Hopefully there's some clues to be found in here I'm curious to solve this mystery! 😆

embyserver (1).txt

Hi.  Unfortunately, the server log won't yield any clues.

Do you have the option to allow the screensaver during pause enabled?  If not, try enabling it and see if this issue goes away.

sbodley8
19 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Unfortunately, the server log won't yield any clues.

Do you have the option to allow the screensaver during pause enabled?  If not, try enabling it and see if this issue goes away.

Dang. Turns out it was already enabled. I suppose I'll try disabling it instead and see if that helps? 

PXL_20230508_081437190.jpg

• Thanks 1

sbodley8

Tried disabling it but the problem persists. 20 minutes into a movie the screen randomly dimmed again. Anyone have any more ideas why this could be happening? This doesn't happen with any other streaming apps.

It is obviously a rare issue in the app.  If you use the other one suggested above, this will not happen.

• 2 weeks later...
drizzt09

It's not rare. As there are screenshot above of other posts of the same. I also have the same issue. 

I have Emby installed on fire tv Max. When set to external player VLC I had issue switch audio/video out of sync. When I set external player Just player it worked well but hit a weird issue (I don't recall right now what it was). So I switched to non external player. I am guessing the is the built in firemedia player. The problem I am experiencing now is while watching for awhile the screen goes dim. If I pause and play it goes back to normal again for awhile. 

14 hours ago, drizzt09 said:

It's not rare

Hi.  In the scheme of things it is.  For the people that have the issue, I understand it isn't "rare" but for the entire user base, it is extremely rare since only a few of you are having it happen.

It won't happen in the standard app.