advice for a new linux server build

alberto.bracci

alberto.bracci

Hi all, I am on the lookout for a new build for my linux emby server. 
I am currently using a 10+old repurposed pc (super old intel pentium), and wanted to build a new future proof-ish pc without breaking the bank.
This is the build I have come up with: 
https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/tidus2_0/saved/#view=jXqphM 

some motivations behind it:
- small-ish pc constraint, so I went for a mATX case/motherboard
- intel i5 for quicksync, 11th gen as the good price/performance balance. 
- case chosen for good clean storage capabilities and smaller price than competitors
- HDDs are already there from previous build
- no GPU should be needed thanks to the iGPU quicksync, so the PSU should be enough at 400W
- motherboard chosen as cheaper asus mATX with good IO (e.g. usb-c)

Any advice/comment is more than welcome, especially as I am no expert (first pc build). 
I'd like advice especially on the choice of motherboard, case and cpu, and if there are ways to save some more money (Italy based)
In particular: I think AMD is a no without discrete GPU due to the absence of quickysinc, right?

For context, for the moment I will handle only maximum 3 1080p streams, but I'd like to be ready for those to be 4k in the future. 
The computer is also gonna be used for light office use.

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, alberto.bracci said:

wanted to build a new future proof-ish pc

For some future-proofing, IMHO your should go with 12th (or 13th) gen Intel (that doesn't mean 11th gen won't serve you well for intended purpose, just that 12/13th gens brought along considerable architectural changes/optimizations); though, that being a Linux build, you might encunter some driver issues if opted for, albeit, if any issues are hit, it is reasonable to expect they'd be fleshed out eventually. 

1 hour ago, alberto.bracci said:

I think AMD is a no without discrete GPU due to the absence of quickysinc, right?

Yes, in that scenario (no dGPU) you don't  want AMD in your media server PC. 

RanmaCanada

I agree with GrimReaper, 12th or 13th gen should be your target as 11th gen on desktop is a waste of sand.

• Like 1

alberto.bracci

Thanks guys!
is 13th worth it over 12th? 
Not sure how better efficiency cores are, the rest seems to be more or less similar. 
Any advice on the motherboard? mATX with possibly usb-c and wifi, but it looks like good IO is mostly on more pricey gaming motherboards, and I don't really need the horse power.

Edited by alberto.bracci

GrimReaper
26 minutes ago, alberto.bracci said:

is 13th worth it over 12th?

For your usage case:

4 hours ago, alberto.bracci said:

for the moment I will handle only maximum 3 1080p streams, but I'd like to be ready for those to be 4k in the future. 

I'd say it ain't, you're getting same iGPU (UHD-770) with i5-12500 as you would with top-of-the-line i9-13900KS, that's sub-200 USD CPU vs 800+ USD CPU - you can build another machine for that price difference alone, for minor gains (though for some, difference between 5-10 4K transcodes vs. close to 20 4K transcodes might be important, for average consumer it surely shouldn't be). Alder Lake would serve your needs several times over what your requirements are. 

Edited by GrimReaper