Having to transcode every H.265 video

jdewoody71

jdewoody71

Hello! Earlier this year I switched to a Roku Ultra 4K for my living room. Every time we play a video in Emby that is encoded in H.265, I have to select transcoding or most of the video is bright red/orange. My network setup is fully wired with CAT6 and 1GB switches. I have tone mapping enabled in Emby and my TV supports HDR. Here is the media info from one of the files:

image.png.234ab936d61055b2ed6fcd4908a7153f.png

Any thoughts? Thanks.

jdewoody71
On 3/28/2023 at 10:00 AM, ebr said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Here is an short video example as well: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8fPwhthEHrqzgN8C8

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-directstream-75b921b6-c854-43dd-bf6f-0db658750419_1.txt

jdewoody71
5 hours ago, ebr said:

If you don't select the subtitles, does it direct play?

It does but the color doesn't change unless I switch to transcoding.

8 hours ago, jdewoody71 said:

Right well this one is going to have to transcode, right? I don't think there's any other way, so we're going to have to make sure it transcodes automatically.

jdewoody71
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Right well this one is going to have to transcode, right? I don't think there's any other way, so we're going to have to make sure it transcodes automatically.

That makes no sense to me. I have a Skystream Max (Android box) that I can play this on and I don't have to transcode. I also have several other H.265 series with this same issue when played on the Roku.

19 hours ago, jdewoody71 said:

it direct played and the colors were still off?  Is this an HDR item (doesn't look like it)?

3 hours ago, jdewoody71 said:

I have a Skystream Max (Android box) that I can play this on and I don't have to transcode

Android and Roku are completely different devices/systems with different capabilities.

tedfroop
5 hours ago, jdewoody71 said:

That makes no sense to me. I have a Skystream Max (Android box) that I can play this on and I don't have to transcode. I also have several other H.265 series with this same issue when played on the Roku.

You may want to visit the Roku support site.  There seems to be some issues with Roku's switching modes for HDR color spaces automatically.....

jdewoody71
2 hours ago, ebr said:

it direct played and the colors were still off?  Is this an HDR item (doesn't look like it)?

Android and Roku are completely different devices/systems with different capabilities.

Yes, correct. It direct played after turning off the subtitles but the color is still off unless I switch to transcode as shown in my video sample. No, it is not an HDR item.

I'm aware that they are different. I was just pointing out how it plays on Emby using a different device. Thanks.

• Like 1

jdewoody71
51 minutes ago, tedfroop said:

You may want to visit the Roku support site.  There seems to be some issues with Roku's switching modes for HDR color spaces automatically.....

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not an HDR video.

It is a problem with certain Roku models. It will misinterpret the color flag. You have to manually alter the header of the MKV to remove that color information like mentioned in the thread above. Roku has still not corrected this on their end.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Severe-color-contrast-distortion-while-Plex-streaming-HEVC-EAC3-videos/m-p/634403

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
jdewoody71
On 3/31/2023 at 1:13 PM, speechles said:

It is a problem with certain Roku models. It will misinterpret the color flag. You have to manually alter the header of the MKV to remove that color information like mentioned in the thread above. Roku has still not corrected this on their end.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Severe-color-contrast-distortion-while-Plex-streaming-HEVC-EAC3-videos/m-p/634403

That was the issue. I switched to Apple TV and the issue is gone. Thanks.

5 hours ago, jdewoody71 said:

That was the issue. I switched to Apple TV and the issue is gone. Thanks.

The issue is resolved with Roku firmware 12 update. No Apple TV necessary.

• Like 1