Emby 4.7.11.0: Large 4K video is buffering on Shield TV Pro 2019

alexpunga148

alexpunga148

Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to 1Gbps ethernet, devices are connected to WiFi 6, but almost 100mbps video is buffering, like there is some network limit, but it is not set neither on router or in emby. HDD speed is 100% because I use Shield as SMB server also, and playing the file on my PC through SMB using standart media player is perfect. Problem persists on Emby Theater on Windows(in the video), Emby for Android (stutters every 1-2 minutes while phone connection stats show ~10MB/s download), Kodi on Mac OS (acts the same Emby Theater). Later, I will try on the Shield itself

embyserver.txt

Mendocinotim

I sometimes experience the same exact issues on my Emby server. The larger the file size the greater the risk it will happen. But not always - just sometimes.

I can and do monitor the number of local and WAN users at these times.
I also keep close tabs on the iMac I host Emby on for temp. spikes, processor and memory consumption issues, at the times the studdering manifests. The number of simultaneous users is often 1 or 2 at most. My library is on a Drobo and connected to my computer via firewire. My emby server is kept up to date on a daily basis. I clean and prune the iMac daily to reduce stress on the machine.

And yet, despite all that - the studdering randomly appears, but only for videos greater in size than 4 gb.
My entire library is encoded the same.. HEVAC h264, (and newer at) h265.

Anyway, that's my two bits.
Hope it helps.

alexpunga148
5 hours ago, Mendocinotim said:

The number of simultaneous users is often 1 or 2 at most.

That's my case. When I tried to reproduce the issue, there were no clients, but my PC on the attached video. The SHIELD was sleeping, so there was no more stress for it: the only load was emby and this movie.

5 hours ago, Mendocinotim said:

And yet, despite all that - the studdering randomly appears, but only for videos greater in size than 4 gb.

That's not my issue. I have 2-3 files with a heavy bitrate, which stutter in 100% chances. By the way, transcoding solves the problem, except some cases when DoVi content cannot be transcoded: just black screen divided into 9 cells and the first 2 cells result into some trash pixels. It shows, that the issue is not about performance, it's about bandwidth, but I don't understand which side from. My setup allows me to use SMB and get almost full speed of my hard drive and it's always much higher than required for any movie in my library. That's strange

alexpunga148

UPD: The same happens when downloading any movie: when I try to download a movie and there are no other clients, the download speed reaches 15MB/s(120mbps). Connecting another client causes dividing the download speed by 2, so it's 7.5-8 MB/s even if I'm playing low quality series with 1-2mbps bitrate. So there are 2 questions:

1. Why download speed is capped? Are there any other possibilities in Emby to cap the speed except network settings and user profile settings?

2. Why bandwidth is simply divided by n, where n is number of clients?

alexpunga148
45 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

I tried to run Emby on Shield TV itself (aka localhost). It runs better, there are 1-2 stutters in intro, but then runs smoothly. After that I tried to download some episodes, which are stored on the second drive, so playing movie and downloading should not compete nor for drive speed and network bandwidth. But they do! I don't understand, what they are competing for: download and network run different network and use different drives. Running the same file in Kodi via its file manager is perfect. It acts like Android app on my phone: some second playing, then stutter and, I assume, buffering.

https://dropmefiles.com/rNMMd

On 3/29/2023 at 4:40 PM, alexpunga148 said:

I tried to run Emby on Shield TV itself (aka localhost). It runs better, there are 1-2 stutters in intro, but then runs smoothly. After that I tried to download some episodes, which are stored on the second drive, so playing movie and downloading should not compete nor for drive speed and network bandwidth. But they do! I don't understand, what they are competing for: download and network run different network and use different drives. Running the same file in Kodi via its file manager is perfect. It acts like Android app on my phone: some second playing, then stutter and, I assume, buffering.

https://dropmefiles.com/rNMMd

Hi, that's strange. Is it consistent?

alexpunga148

@Lukeyes, it's consistent. By the way, I found that pausing and resuming the download disables this "fantom limit" and makes downloading at full speed. I don't know how to execute this trick with playing, but probably this can be a sort of hint for you

Edited by alexpunga148
A little explication of the thought

• 2 months later...
Loco007

I had stuttering issues also until I went into settings within the Emby app on my shield and there was a selection to tick called something like 'allow .ts streams'.

After selecting this worked like a dream 👍

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
alexpunga148

@Loco007didn't find this option. Could you try to help me with the exact location of this option? Also I'm not sure if it is a problem, because the problem exists also in download mode, not only in playback

Edited by alexpunga148
Clarification regarding downloads

10 hours ago, alexpunga148 said:

@Loco007didn't find this option. Could you try to help me with the exact location of this option? Also I'm not sure if it is a problem, because the problem exists also in download mode, not only in playback

What Emby client app are you playing with on the Shield?

alexpunga148
4 hours ago, Luke said:

What Emby client app are you playing with on the Shield?

I tried both Emby app and Kodi with Emby plugin

alexpunga148
30 minutes ago, Luke said:

What version number of the Emby client app did you try?

2.0.83g. The latest from the google play

alexpunga148
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Ok, I'll try, but I don't think it solves anything, because the problem persists on my phone with regular app. I suppose it's a server side problem

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech

I've seen this a lot with people that use the Shield as the emby 'Server' and the playback device when playing back 4k remux bitrate files.

How is the library setup on the shield ?

Have you mounted the storage (using Android) and then mapped that to the emby server (as effectively local storage) - or are you using SMB / UNC file shares - the same as you would if connecting to the working clients ?

Is the actual media 'local' (on the shield, or via it's USB ports) or is the media itself on a NAS (on another SMB share for example)

Just trying to understand the full setup here.

alexpunga148
16 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I've seen this a lot with people that use the Shield as the emby 'Server' and the playback device when playing back 4k remux bitrate files.

How is the library setup on the shield ?

Have you mounted the storage (using Android) and then mapped that to the emby server (as effectively local storage) - or are you using SMB / UNC file shares - the same as you would if connecting to the working clients ?

Is the actual media 'local' (on the shield, or via it's USB ports) or is the media itself on a NAS (on another SMB share for example)

Just trying to understand the full setup here.

I have 2 hard drives. One is used only for 4K remux, other is used for music, tv series and movies with lower quality. Both are NTFS, both connected through USB and not mounted as Android local storage. USBs are set forcely to high performance mode because I had some issues with auto mode(it was falling down to low speed and affected the speed). Also Shield shares drives via SMB, which I use for uploading media only. Shield is connected to router using 1Gbps ethernet

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, alexpunga148 said:

I have 2 hard drives. One is used only for 4K remux, other is used for music, tv series and movies with lower quality. Both are NTFS, both connected through USB and not mounted as Android local storage. USBs are set forcely to high performance mode because I had some issues with auto mode(it was falling down to low speed and affected the speed). Also Shield shares drives via SMB, which I use for uploading media only. Shield is connected to router using 1Gbps ethernet

ok thanks - so presumabably these are external USB 3 drives ?

If yes, there really should not be any issues as the emby file caching is all being done on the Shields internal flash based storage - and USB 3 should have more than enough bandwidth to read ~100Mbit/sec with ease.

If you store a test library local on the Shield (ie on it's internal memory/storage ) - do you see the streaming issues ?

alexpunga148
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

ok thanks - so presumabably these are external USB 3 drives ?

If yes, there really should not be any issues as the emby file caching is all being done on the Shields internal flash based storage - and USB 3 should have more than enough bandwidth to read ~100Mbit/sec with ease.

If you store a test library local on the Shield (ie on it's internal memory/storage ) - do you see the streaming issues ?

Yes, there are. Transfer speed when using SMB reaches 110-130MBps and is capped by HDD or ethernet. This does not happen when I download something through Emby app(as you can see on video, the speed is limited to 10MBps until a pause and resume the download. After that it's capped by phone's WiFi speed). The same issue, I suppose, happens with remuxes with a high bitrate(the movie with the highest bitrate I've got has 91mbps/~11MBps). I will try to make a sample from this movie a test the local storage

• Like 1