How can I tell if hardware transcoding is being used

rb9999

rb9999

I followed the Synology Trash Guide to set up my system with Emby and several other apps ( https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/How-to-setup-for/Synology/ ).  I am using a Synology Ds220+ which has a Celeron CPU and provides hardware transcoding.   I saw in the yaml that is provided by the Trash guide that hardware decoding is on, so it should be working.

Playing 720p H264 video using direct play hits my CPU at 6%.  Changing the video to 480p 420kbps pops my CPU to 51%.  I wouldn't expect that much of a CPU hit with hardware decoding (or maybe that's normal, not sure).

Is therea way to verify that hardware decoding is happening on my NAS and not software decoding?

I did find out that I can view the status on the sever dashboard.  But the dashboard just shows me that it is transcoding.  It doesn't specify hardware or software decoding.

GrimReaper

In your Web UI: Settings>Logs tab in sidebar>download desired log (rightmost icon in the log you want to DL or open log>Download). 

Edited by GrimReaper

rb9999

Ah, yes, I found it. I just did some additional testing and viewing of that log and it does appear that hardware transcoding is happening.  Thank you!