AV1 and Shield

jriker1

jriker1

Quick one hopefully.  Does Emby beta (Windows Server Shield Pro 2019 client) support direct play of AV1 content?  

Thanks.

JR

jriker1

Thanks, do you happen to know if Shield Pro 2019 supports direct play or do I need to try encoding a video and see?  Don't think AV1 encoding is there yet, especially with HDR encoding but wasn't sure if I'd be transcoding all the time anyway which would make it less value add.

VirulentPip

The Nvidia Shield Pro doesn't support HW Decoding of AV1. It would need to software decode it , which ultimately would cause playback issues. (If Emby didn't just auto to transcode instead - Which in this case would be the preferred outcome)

jriker1

With the assumed demise of the Shield Pro from posts on the net and vloggers are there any other hardware solutions today that support hardware decoding of AV1?  Note I use LiveTV to some extent if that factors into a response.  Found one that claimed it but was let's say an "international" product of questionable trust.

Edited by jriker1

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

are there any other hardware solutions today that support hardware decoding of AV1?

From https://bitmovin.com/av1-playback-support/:

Consoles and Streaming Sticks:

💯 Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max

Playstation 4 Pro

Xbox One

Roku Streaming Stick 4K

jriker1

Thanks.  Guess I'll wait.  I'm going to stay away from $500 boxes just to play AV1 content and with the cpu requirements I've seen even on my own PC for AV1 content wouldn't rely on an Amazon or Roku sticks.

rbjtech
25 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

Thanks.  Guess I'll wait.  I'm going to stay away from $500 boxes just to play AV1 content and with the cpu requirements I've seen even on my own PC for AV1 content wouldn't rely on an Amazon or Roku sticks.

Investing in AV1 is a gamble tbh - h266/vvc is challenging and as a product AV1 is not particularly impressive on the bitrate savings vs cpu overhead imo.

• Thanks 1

jriker1

Yeah I'm going back for now to HEVC encoding.  Didn't look to deep yet but was reviewing VVC and didn't see much out there other than articles about it.  Nothing really popped up with tools or lots of forum discussions or anything.

• Like 1

RanmaCanada

@jriker1The Firestick 4k Max and the new Firecube 3 both do AV1 decoding in hardware.  I use a 4k Max myself and the only issue I have with AV1 content is I have to sideload the mainline Android app as for some stupid reason the one in the Amazon market place hasn't been updated in ages and won't do AV1, nor AAC 7.1.  You can get the 4k Max on sale for $40USD or less (currently available "refurbished" at that price.

I would say the worst thing about AV1 encoding for those that do encode their own files, is the amount of gatekeeping being done, and the sheer lack of documentation that is present, while zealots defend their choices to refuse to give you anything you ask for or to explain things in encoder talk and not programming speak.  AV1 is great in the aspect you can put it in an mp4 container and all web browsers will play it, where as I believe only Opera will do HEVC in a web browser, and even then it's a crap shoot.

• Like 1

Mnejing
On 3/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, jriker1 said:

Yeah I'm going back for now to HEVC encoding.  Didn't look to deep yet but was reviewing VVC and didn't see much out there other than articles about it.  Nothing really popped up with tools or lots of forum discussions or anything.

I couldn't imagine buying hardware right now based on whether or not it can natively handle AV1. The whole thing doesn't make sense, honestly. I realize it's the new thing right now, but it's so early that it's just... not worth it yet.

Look, AVC is still the dominant standard. Why? Almost everything made in the last 10 years supports it on hardware. We're still working on wider HEVC adoption, and it's still a pretty fine standard for high-quality video.

The big problem here is the cost for entry. For whatever reason, AVC caught on quick. Right place, right time? I dunno. HEVC is pretty awesome on paper, but isn't at all at the level of adoption of AVC (I'm going to paraphrase the Wikipedia article, and the specific sentence is now 4 years old, but it'll give you a sense). The aforementioned Wikipedia article states that, as of September 2019, "91% of video industry developers" are still using AVC. I expect there has been some movement on that number since, but nothing that would tip the scales away from AVC.

Why didn't HEVC catch on like AVC? Dunno. Hardware availability? Apathy? Could be any of a bunch of things, or a combination thereof. Probably it was a conscious decision to target the widest selection of devices.

Therein lies the problem. The install base for AV1 capable hardware and users who are CONSUMING that AV1 content is incredibly low. I can't possibly give you numbers, but I'd wager it's statistically irrelevant.

That's why I personally have no intention of moving away from AVC/HEVC any time soon. It literally doesn't make sense to try and target AV1 or VVC content. And I'm certainly not going out of my way to spend money on hardware to actually play it, for what is essentially a side-grade right now.

AV1 is just a buzzword right now. It's more marketing term than actual feature.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
59 minutes ago, Mnejing said:

I couldn't imagine buying hardware right now based on whether or not it can natively handle AV1. The whole thing doesn't make sense, honestly. I realize it's the new thing right now, but it's so early that it's just... not worth it yet.

Look, AVC is still the dominant standard. Why? Almost everything made in the last 10 years supports it on hardware. We're still working on wider HEVC adoption, and it's still a pretty fine standard for high-quality video.

The big problem here is the cost for entry. For whatever reason, AVC caught on quick. Right place, right time? I dunno. HEVC is pretty awesome on paper, but isn't at all at the level of adoption of AVC (I'm going to paraphrase the Wikipedia article, and the specific sentence is now 4 years old, but it'll give you a sense). The aforementioned Wikipedia article states that, as of September 2019, "91% of video industry developers" are still using AVC. I expect there has been some movement on that number since, but nothing that would tip the scales away from AVC.

Why didn't HEVC catch on like AVC? Dunno. Hardware availability? Apathy? Could be any of a bunch of things, or a combination thereof. Probably it was a conscious decision to target the widest selection of devices.

Therein lies the problem. The install base for AV1 capable hardware and users who are CONSUMING that AV1 content is incredibly low. I can't possibly give you numbers, but I'd wager it's statistically irrelevant.

That's why I personally have no intention of moving away from AVC/HEVC any time soon. It literally doesn't make sense to try and target AV1 or VVC content. And I'm certainly not going out of my way to spend money on hardware to actually play it, for what is essentially a side-grade right now.

AV1 is just a buzzword right now. It's more marketing term than actual feature.

I believe the big streamers will drive the codecs - YouTube, Netflix, Disney etc - and subsequently so will the pirate scene.    Other big influencers are live streaming - currently AVC is big and I believe this is due to the prohibitive cost of the HEVC licenses - with AV1, this is no longer an issue but until people can of course receive the AV1 streams, it's a non-starter.

4K UHD Disk appears to be hanging on (HEVC) but once they start running out of major films to 're-master in 4k' then I think that format will die.   Until 8K and we start again lol ...

Edited by rbjtech

• 8 months later...
runtimesandbox

Reviving a somewhat old thread, is there a way to get the server to transcode AV1 to a playable format for the shield? I direct play everything but do have the horse power to  transcode where needed. I'd only want to transcode when necessary 

4 hours ago, runtimesandbox said:

Reviving a somewhat old thread, is there a way to get the server to transcode AV1 to a playable format for the shield? I direct play everything but do have the horse power to  transcode where needed. I'd only want to transcode when necessary 

The server will already transcode it if needed. Are you saying you'd rather have it transcode?

runtimesandbox

Im not seeing that behaviour, the nvidia shield can play basically anything other than AV1 content. Everything on the same LAN, with AV1 content the audio plays but there is no video (just a black screen) because the nvidia can't decode it. 

In these circumstances I would like the server to transcode it (but only those scenarios)

3 hours ago, runtimesandbox said:

Everything on the same LAN, with AV1 content the audio plays but there is no video (just a black screen) because the nvidia can't decode it. 

Hi.  Did you disable transcoding for the user attempting to play?

19 hours ago, runtimesandbox said:

Im not seeing that behaviour, the nvidia shield can play basically anything other than AV1 content. Everything on the same LAN, with AV1 content the audio plays but there is no video (just a black screen) because the nvidia can't decode it. 

In these circumstances I would like the server to transcode it (but only those scenarios)

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

runtimesandbox

Ah so i did side load the standard android app, was i meant to side load the android TV version? I can test that instead later this week.

One thing I have found with the standard app is that after playing back a media item, the next media item(s) sometimes will play with a black screen (as above with the av1 files, however they are not av1 files) and this will persist until the shield is restarted.

Yes if you could try that it would be great. Thanks.

runtimesandbox

Have side loaded and tested both the standard Android app and Android TV app - both provide a worse direct play experience than the original appstore app on the shield.

The side loaded android TV app did correctly convert AV1 media to a new format that could be played on the TV automatically. The side loaded standard android app did not.

Results with the standard android app (side loaded):

• didn't convert AV1 to playable format
  • direct play of high bit rate file resulted in occasional very brief stuttering

Results with the android TV app (side loaded):

• did convert av1 test files to playable format
  • direct play of high bit rate files resulted in lots of stuttering and pauses making content unwatchable. 

High bit rate files tested with were not AV1 related, had 40mbs + bit rate. Worked fine without stutter using TV built in LG webos based app. 

Shield is 1gb ethernet hardwired on local network

• Thanks 1

runtimesandbox

Let me know if there is any logs I can provide. The direct streaming of high bit rate files is my main issue right now as this covers most of my content. 

Just to add I've ruled out hdmi leads and Dolby vision being the issue as I've replaced all hdmi leads with active optical cables and tested with Dolby vision being disabled

• Thanks 1

Q-Droid

As an experiment have you tested when using a wireless connection for the Shield? I know it's counterintuitive, but I've heard things...

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

Not tested wireless but will add that to the list of things to try - although I was under the impression shield can playback fine over ethernet unlike TVs that are capped at 100mb on the ethernet port

• Agree 1