Nvidia quietly boosts the video encoding capabilities of Geforce GPUs

sydlexius

sydlexius

According to Tom's Hardware and Ars Technica, NVidia has upped the number of simultaneous encoding sessions on Geforce GPUs, going back to the ancient Maxwell chipset!  Officially, the upper limits for most models now tops out at 5 sessions.  There's no information on what specific driver releases you need to be on, nor is it clear if drivers on all platforms are updated.  Nevertheless, you can check out details for your specific GPU(s) here.

• Thanks 1

TMCsw

Guess this might be tasty for the game player trying to justify the co$t (price/hydro) over what a I3 8xxx w/UHD can do?😀🙃

sydlexius
4 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

Guess this might be tasty for the game player trying to justify the co$t (price/hydro) over what a I3 8xxx w/UHD can do?😀🙃

It's clear that they don't want to risk gamers/streamers switching to "the other guys" (or skipping them altogether in the case of iGPU Quicksync).  I'm sure it's one of those things where they're already losing revenue because of this, so it basically costs nothing to modify the "bullet points" on the feature list for your GPU.  In my instance, nothing changes.  I have an Unraid server with Xeon v4 CPUs (no Quicksync), and an NVIDIA T600 GPU using a script to hack the drivers to remove the artificial limit.  I don't plan to change my approach.

TMCsw

Sorry if That sounded offensive, I just want to discourage the non gameres to not think that the AMD/NVIDIA is the way to go!  (not)😉

sydlexius

No offense taken.  I have a love/hate relationship with NVidia, and I'm happy for any competitive responses that bring buyers better value.  With that said, over the past two generations they've totally lost the plot.

RanmaCanada

It makes no difference as quicksync is superior in every way.  This is just NVIDIA grasping at straws.  I love the fact my i3-1115g4 laptop can handle more transcodes while using maybe 15 watts, and idling at 3.

• Like 1

sydlexius

The reality is that most people who purchase dGPUs do so because they have needs that a system with only an iGPU (or no graphics) can't meet. If I were in the same situation as you, I would continue to use quicksync for all of the reasons you'd stated.