SSL Certificate

apefray

apefray

I've just opened the Emby app on My android phone and a message popped up regarding a SSL Certificate. I should have paid more attention, but just went ahead and pressed the Yes button as it warned me, if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to open the app on my phone. 

10 mins later, and I'm now thinking should I have done this, why has the app requested the install of a SSL Certificate all of a sudden.

I've been running the app for 7 years, and it has never asked me this before. I checked the logs and can't see anything related to a certificate, but I did see a failed Admin log in attempt at 7.30 in the morning ( I do have a strong password, not used anywhere else). 

Should I be concerned about either the failed login in attempt, or the SSL Certificate it asked me to install? 

Edited by apefray

HI, it's not installing an SSL certificate. It is simply for you to approve the SSL certificate that you've installed on your Emby Server.

• 10 months later...
danielwill

It seems sense to be concerned given the abrupt request for the installation of an SSL certificate and the unsuccessful attempt at admin login. The following actions can be taken to evaluate the situation:

Regarding the SSL Certificate:- Verify the Source:- Verify that the SSL certificate request is authentic and originates from the Emby app's official website. Make sure the Emby app was downloaded from a reliable source, like the Google Play Store.

Check App Settings:- Examine the Emby app's settings on your Android device. There might be a section related to security or connections where you can review the SSL certificate information. Verify that installing the certificate is a necessary component of an authorized update or security improvement.

Contact Emby Support:- If you are still uncertain, reach out to Emby's official support channels. They can provide clarification on whether the SSL certificate request is a standard part of an update or if there's any reason for concern.

Regarding the Failed Admin Login Attempt:

Review Security Settings:- Verify the security and login configurations in the Emby server settings. Make sure that robust password regulations are implemented, and for an extra degree of protection, think about turning on two-factor authentication if it's accessible.

Change Password:- Changing your Emby admin password is a smart idea as there was an unsuccessful attempt to log in. Ensure that the new password is both strong and distinct.

Monitor Activity Logs:- Watch the activity logs on the Emby server for any unusual activities. Examine logs on a regular basis to make sure no strange activity or attempts at illegal access exist.

Enable Account Lockout:- If your Emby server has a feature for account lockout after multiple failed login attempts, consider enabling it. This can help prevent brute-force attacks.

Update Emby Server:- Make sure the Emby server software is the most recent version. Updates that may include security patches and improvements are frequently released by developers.

Antivirus and Security Scan:- To check for malware or other potential risks, run a security scan with trusted antivirus or security software on your server and Android device.

They can provide specific guidance based on your situation and help ensure the security of your Emby server and data.