Scan media library hangs, memory usage ramps to max

ak96ss
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Trevor68

Easy to test, re-enable the one you turned off, watch the ram suckage return. 

The files not being processed correctly will be in that library 

Edited by Trevor68

Happy2Play

But it has to come back to amount if images as I have several Home Videos Libraries with Photos enabled.

Or specific image types?

Edited by Happy2Play

Trevor68

You don't have the problem though, it is not amount, it is certain files. Mine happily processes right up until 91% then it hits the same files that it doesn't like and immediately Hoovers up all available ram, then eventually crashes.

If @Luke has fixed this for 4.8 then he can probably tell you exactly what is causing it.

There is an issue in 4.7 with certain photos causing the scan to hang. This has been corrected in the upcoming 4.8 server release.

lightsout
On 3/25/2023 at 6:39 PM, Trevor68 said:

You don't have the problem though, it is not amount, it is certain files. Mine happily processes right up until 91% then it hits the same files that it doesn't like and immediately Hoovers up all available ram, then eventually crashes.

If @Luke has fixed this for 4.8 then he can probably tell you exactly what is causing it.

My scan was completing, and not taking all that long. But even after completing the ram would just keep going.

Trevor68

I still have access to the old server files, is there something I can copy over to get around this? 

I have already copied the cache files, and also metadata/library, to no avail. 

On 3/27/2023 at 8:01 PM, Trevor68 said:

I still have access to the old server files, is there something I can copy over to get around this? 

I have already copied the cache files, and also metadata/library, to no avail. 

You mean as a workaround instead of unchecking Enable Photos?

15 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Absolutely, is that possible?

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to work out. One other idea I have, assuming you want to stay on 4.7, is remove the schedule of the library scan, and then when you add new content to other libraries besides the photos one, you can just run manual scans on them. And then once 4.8 is released, add the library scan schedule back to it's default of every 12 hours.

Trevor68

Kind of also defeats the purpose, guess I just decided to migrate at the wrong time. Will wait on 4.8 for the fix. I'm guessing that might be a bit yet? 

3 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Kind of also defeats the purpose, guess I just decided to migrate at the wrong time. Will wait on 4.8 for the fix. I'm guessing that might be a bit yet? 

Hopefully not. We recognize this is a big issue with certain photos, so hopefully sooner rather than later.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Trevor68 said:

So didn't make the cut for 4.7.13 then I guess? 🙁

The photos change will be in the upcoming 4.8 release. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2023 at 5:20 PM, Flieger42 said:

So my server runs on stable version 4.7.14.0.

This issue is still in the stable version. When will 4.18 be released as stable? I dont want to update on a beta server right now.

Soon. we're working hard on it.