Nesting of movies

Javaandy

Javaandy

I'm using the API for a quite a while for my projects successfully.

I'm struggling to understand how I can nest videos. I'm reading about folders, collections, virtual folders but so far, I haven't been successful in achieving any nesting structure. 

To start with, I'm able to create a Virtual Folder, but how can I add content to it?

Alternatively, I currently have all the movies in one folder on the file system. If I can use Emby to sort movies into subfolders, I would be open to it, too.

Every help is most welcome.

Hi, if you've created a virtual folder, the next step is to add a real folder to that virtual folder. Then it's just a matter of putting video files into that real folder and running a library scan.

Javaandy

Ok, but now I’m confused. That would make it a real folder. Why is it called „virtual“? Can I use the Emby API to move files?

Why is it called „virtual“?

It's just what we call it internally. Users never see the term Virtual. It's a folder based on one or more real folders, so way back when that's how it got called virtual.

There's no api to move files, but obviously there's a million ways you could do that outside of Emby, and then just run a normal scan.

Based on what you're trying to do, it sounds like using the normal Collections feature is going to be your best bet.

Javaandy

Thank you very much for the clarification on the "virtual". Is there still a way to nest Collections? Any roadmap plans?

GrimReaper
29 minutes ago, Javaandy said:

Is there still a way to nest Collections?

You can lend your support here:

Javaandy
33 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

You can lend your support here:

Thanks. I just added to the other discussion.