Installation snafu: endless repetition of single titles

FXVon

If there's anything newer than a newbie, that's me, and I'm struggling with installing emby on my Mac. I've been using iTunes in conjunction with Plex to stream music to Roku for many years but would like to try emby. In multiple installation attempts over the last 24 hours, the library scan just hangs for hours and hours. I read other posts on this forum and saw that's normal but also read a suggestion to take a look at the logs. When I did, I saw error report after report ad infinitum. I also saw in every scan without exception that the library getting built was composed of a single song title copied over and over, followed by another copied over and over, etc.

I am guessing the fault here lies in the disorganized manner in which I've stored music over the years, but even when I try to scan just one path (rather than a great many of them) to create an emby library, the result is the same: endless repetition of a single song title, etc. I'm stumped.

Perhaps worth noting, or not, both iTunes and Plex still scan at this time.

Many thanks for your reply! It wasn't just the fact that the scan -- the first one, in fact -- had taken maybe 6 or so hours and had paused a long time at maybe 54% or so, it was checking the log and seeing the scan had generated no end of "error reports," or at least that's my recollection of the term. Then looking at the library that was getting generated, as I wrote previously, there were maybe just ten or so songs repeated dozens and dozens of times: it appeared to me that the scan was just reading single song titles repeatedly rather than moving through my music collection. Finally, I recall there was a status report somewhere in emby, and I don't recall where, that stated the number of songs to be read. Again, I apologize I don't recall where I saw this, but the "status report" stated my library of songs was something like 89,000. I've got a lot of music, maybe something over 500 albums, but nowhere near 89,000 titles.

I've tried to delete this post so no one else will trouble himself/herself further about it but don't see how to do that. Thank you for your help.