[bug] Song tags are not read when folder name contains many dots

sb0373
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

sb0373

I have copied a new music album with all tags included as given by CDDB (name, album, year, artist, album artist, cd number, track number) as FLAC files.

The songs were copied into the folder "/media/music/sorted/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig..."

So an the first song is stored as "/media/music/sorted/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac"

When scanning for the library, the songs show up under latest music with just the file name without extension (all 12 songs):  "01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley"

Expectation: They show up as a single album with all meta data.

When manually editing the song, all meta data in the file is empty.

Removing both triple dots in the folder name works as expected. Tags are read and the files are combined/assigned to the album.

/media/music is a mapped SMB folder

# dnf info emby-server
Last metadata expiration check: 5 days, 4:31:24 ago on Wed 15 Mar 2023 10:04:18 AM CET.
Installed Packages
Name         : emby-server
Version      : 4.7.11.0
Release      : 1
Arch         : x86_64
Size         : 523 M
Source       : emby-server-4.7.11.0-1.src.rpm
Repo         : @System
From repo    : @commandline
Summary      : Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device
URL          : https://emby.media/
License      : custom

CentOS 7

# uname -a
Linux media.example.com 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 5 16:57:59 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Best wishes,

sb0373

Happy2Play

Can't test as if is impossible to create a folder with trailing periods in Windows.  So the question becomes is this a limitation of ffprobe? 

Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Execute: /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -i file:"/media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_format

file:/media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac: No such file or directory

It works in the latest beta - but in this test, there was no SMB mapping:

2023-03-22 12:40:19.734 Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Execute: /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -i file:"/development/media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_format
2023-03-22 12:40:19.741 Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Process exited with code 0 - Succeeded

I don't think that there has been anything resolved on our side, though.

@sb0373- what happens when you run the following on the command line?

ls -la "/media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac"

sb0373

Oh very interesting result that I didn't expect:

# ls -la "/media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac"
ls: cannot access /media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac: No such file or directory

# ls -la "/media/music/Nicole/"
total 0
drwxrwxr-x. 2 root media 0 Mar 21 20:33 .
drwxrwxr-x. 2 root media 0 Mar 21 20:30 ..
drwxrwxr-x. 2 root media 0 Mar 21 20:33 Nicole - Für immer... für ewig...

sb0373
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

@sb0373- Can you try whether it works with a local (non SMB)  test library?

Give me some time for that. Have to figure out how to best set it up

Just now, sb0373 said:

Give me some time for that. Have to figure out how to best set it up

No need to do that anymore...

2 minutes ago, sb0373 said:

Oh very interesting result that I didn't expect:

# ls -la "/media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac"
ls: cannot access /media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac: No such file or directory

# ls -la "/media/music/Nicole/"
total 0
drwxrwxr-x. 2 root media 0 Mar 21 20:33 .
drwxrwxr-x. 2 root media 0 Mar 21 20:30 ..
drwxrwxr-x. 2 root media 0 Mar 21 20:33 Nicole - Für immer... für ewig...

It seems the SMB mapper has an issue.

What does 

# ls -la "/media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig..."

return?

sb0373

Hang on, I tried to get the path manually on the server and it does work. There must be a difference to your ls command:

-rwxrwxr-x. 1 root media 26185697 Mar 21 20:33 /media/music/Nicole/Nicole - Für immer... für ewig.../01 Nicole - Soley, Soley, Soley.flac

It's difficult to say, because there's no difference when comparing the commands posted here (I checked for invisible chars).

What happens, when you copy back your own command that you posted above from this page and paste it to the command line?

sb0373

Just tried it. Seems its a copy/paste issue from the web board. Copying my own command also fails. verified it via notepad and also see no difference.

11 minutes ago, sb0373 said:

Just tried it. Seems its a copy/paste issue from the web board. Copying my own command also fails. verified it via notepad and also see no difference.

The SMB protocol does not support directory name ending with dots. Period.  ( 🙂 )

I guess the Linux implementation is applying some workaround - maybe by adding an invisible character to the end or something to make it work.

There seems to be a solution to make it work - but I think the consequence is that you won't be able to access those folders from Windows anymore:

https://serverfault.com/questions/240504/samba-file-directories-that-end-with-a-period

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2402150

I like the conclusion of the Ubuntu thread:

All in all not worth the trouble. Just don't end files / folders with a dot..

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 1