Plugins and what does XMLTV do in Emby?

ak96ss

ak96ss

I don't do any sort of live TV through Emby (and frankly don't understand why you would want to, but that's a different matter) so I uninstalled the XmlTV plugin this morning, since it appears to be a TV guide. I also uninstalled the M3U TV Tuner for the same reason. Six hours later, XmlTV reinstalled itself. Is there another dependency of some sort, or am I missing something else?

It would be very useful (to me, anyway) if either on MouseOver or clicking on it, there is a description of what the plugin does as well as dependencies in the "My Plugins" section, given that I have no idea what some of those plugins do, let alone do for me.

• Like 1

ak96ss

lol

Sorry, I'll be more precise. I went to the plugins tab from the Dashboard, clicked on the three dots on the XmlTV icon in "My Plugins" and selected "Uninstall"

ak96ss

I have no TV sources in the Live TV section, nothing as a "Guide Data Source" either.

Edited by ak96ss
spelling

ak96ss

And I just noticed that I have a "Refresh Internet Channels" scheduled task that runs every 12 hours. Is this a default thing? I've never used Emby for any sort of Internet TV - could that be what triggered it?

Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, ak96ss said:

And I just noticed that I have a "Refresh Internet Channels" scheduled task that runs every 12 hours. Is this a default thing? I've never used Emby for any sort of Internet TV - could that be what triggered it?

That task is for Channels which several plugins use like the Trailers plugin.

Did you restart your server when you uninstalled plugins via the Plugins page?

ak96ss

Yes, I did restart it after uninstalling the plugins.

31 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That task is for Channels which several plugins use like the Trailers plugin.

Did you restart your server when you uninstalled plugins via the Plugins page?

And that is where part 2 of my initial question comes in - dependencies. It is not intuitively obvious that the Trailers plugin would need the Refresh Internet Channels task.

I (have) had Cinema Intros on, set to only pull local trailers, but now when I click on the Cinema Intros tab on the Server, nothing happens...  like, nothing - no error, it doesn't go blank, it acts as if the link is broken...

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, ak96ss said:

I (have) had Cinema Intros on, set to only pull local trailers, but now when I click on the Cinema Intros tab on the Server, nothing happens...  like, nothing - no error, it doesn't go blank, it acts as if the link is broken...

Would need server log and possibly browser console log if errors are created during this process.  

3 minutes ago, ak96ss said:

And that is where part 2 of my initial question comes in - dependencies. It is not intuitively obvious that the Trailers plugin would need the Refresh Internet Channels task.

Not sure what it could be called as it is generic task for all Channels plugins.

image.thumb.png.2b97f268823f08dfd3f1c26ad626b45f.png

ak96ss

I think that may be my challenge - I see channels, I think TV/IPTV, which I don't use...  in fact, where does that screen cap you have even come from? 

46 minutes ago, ak96ss said:

Maybe it’s not obvious about the task, but out of the box it’s all automatic so there’s nothing you need to do to get it to work.

47 minutes ago, ak96ss said:

Are there any errors in the browser debug console?

ak96ss

No, I don't see any errors.

Uninstall and reinstall seems to have resolved that bit, I can now get to the Cinema Intros settings, and confirmed that I am using local trailers only. One thing that reminded me of, though - it says under "Include trailers from movies in my library" that this requires setup of local trailers. That is just having the trailers directories, correct, and nothing to do with the Trailer Channel Plugin if I am not using Internet trailers?

ak96ss

Anyway, back to where I started, I've uninstalled the XmlTV plugin again and will see if it comes back its own self - that was what I really wanted to know, if there is something that requires that plugin and will call it for install if it isn't installed.

I just thought it odd that it would install itself, rather than whatever may have called it just generating an error because the plugin was missing.

Happy2Play

Can't say I have ever seen a plugin reinstall itself.  But since it is a core plugin only guess is it did not properly get listed in the system.xml but just a guess.

As core plugins can reinstall from system/plugins to programdata/plugins if not shown as uninstalled but would happen on startup.

<UninstalledPlugins>
    <string>SchedulesDirect.dll</string>
    <string>Emby.XmlTV.dll</string>
    <string>Emby.Dlna.dll</string>
    <string>Emby.PortMapper.dll</string>
    <string>BlurayMounter.dll</string>
    <string>DvdMounter.dll</string>
    <string>EmbyGuideData.dll</string>
    <string>Emby.M3UTuner.dll</string>
    <string>Emby.Webhooks.dll</string>
    <string>CustomPersonProvider.dll</string>
    <string>Emby.Plugin.EmbyShow.dll</string>
  </UninstalledPlugins>

Once a plugin is uninstalled it can only be manually reinstallled.

Edited by Happy2Play

ak96ss

OK, well, I'll keep an eye on it and update here if I see it again.

I do think it would be handy for mouseover/click to explain what a plugin does, rather than 'this plugin has no settings to configure' but I can live with it.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ak96ss said:

No, I don't see any errors.

Uninstall and reinstall seems to have resolved that bit, I can now get to the Cinema Intros settings, and confirmed that I am using local trailers only. One thing that reminded me of, though - it says under "Include trailers from movies in my library" that this requires setup of local trailers. That is just having the trailers directories, correct, and nothing to do with the Trailer Channel Plugin if I am not using Internet trailers?

What version of the cinema intros plug-in do you have now?

ak96ss

Of course, now that I look...

What I uninstalled was Cinema Intros. What I installed again was Cinema Mode... 

Just now, ak96ss said:

Of course, now that I look...

What I uninstalled was Cinema Intros. What I installed again was Cinema Mode... 

What version of the server?