Does this make sense?

clinktone670
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

clinktone670

First, I set up the Emby server without the VPN running. No problem, the remote address makes perfect sense. Then I started the VPN, rebooted the Emby server, and sure enough, the new remote address is the VPN address. No surprise there. For the people who are using Roku devices, computers, etc, I gave them the original (no VPN running) IP address, and they were able to get into the Emby server. If I give them the VPN address for their Roku, computer, etc, , no luck. So, the question is, if I'm running the VPN and people can sign in using the original, non-VPN IP address, are they truly going thru my VPN?

Hello clinktone670,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Happy2Play

Technically yes as port forwarding is against your true WAN address and is always accessible to whoever knows it.  Assuming your VPN service provides port forwarding then Emby can report your changing VPN address to clients for ones that do not know your true address.

clinktone670

So, I guess my qusestion comeds down to, if th VPN is running, and the cleint has the true web address which will work just fine for them when my VPN is running, is their activity protected by MY VPN? Appreciate the help!

• Solution
rbjtech
26 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

No; only if they access via the VPN address.

Paul

..and this will only work if your VPN provider supports 'Port Forwarding' back to your emby host - bypassing your NAT and firewalls in the process.

There is a general misunderstanding that by just using a 'VPN' - all traffic goes though it.  This is wrong - all OUTBOUND traffic (initiated by you/your LAN) will go though it yes, but any INCOMING traffic (ie external emby clients, not initiated by you) will not - as the only address 'the internet' knows about your emby server, is your normal WAN ISP address.    If you could pass it the 'VPN' address - great, but now the VPN provider needs to know what to do with this traffic - hence needing port forwarding and suitable setup.

• Thanks 1