Intel UHD Graphics 770 vs RTX 3050 for Transcoding if.....

MKANET

MKANET

I have a server PC with an Intel i7-13700k (UHD 770).  I'm currently using it for very intense NZB downloads, respective ARR services, a VM (Home Assistant), Nginx, IIS, ASP.NET apps.

I know that the Intel UHD 770 can comfortably handle five 4k simultaneous transcodes on its own.  However, if the CPU is already busy with backend CPU tasks.  I'm not sure how well the i7-13700k will work when both CPU and iGPU are both heavily utilized at the same time.  My guess is it would just push the CPU to the point where it starts thermal throttling; compromising both CPU and iGPU performance.

Having said that, would I get a little better performance if I were to offload all hardware transcoding to an RTX 3050?  I can justify getting this video card if it helps some?

rbjtech

The UHD770 will outperform the RTX3050 in all aspects of transcoding.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

RanmaCanada

It can actually handle up to 18 4k transcodes, if HDD speed is unlimited, ie an NVME drive.  The ASICS typically don't use the cpu itself for transcoding, other than any audio transcoding that will be done.

• Agree 1

MKANET

@RanmaCanada How would transcoding performance be affected if the CPU is under heavy load (CPU speed drops from 5.4Ghz to 4.xx, for example) how would that affect iGPU transcoding performance?  Also, what about the reverse?  With an nvidia card, they are independent; and, would definitely not interfere with each other's performance.  I just wanted to know which scenario would work best if CPU and GPU are both going to be used heavily sometimes, both together.  I do have pretty good cooling (280mm AIO water cooler).

rbjtech

Feeding the iGPU or dGPU is where the CPU comes in - but you need to understand that as a cpu 'workload' this is tiny in comparison to say 3D rendering.   The iGPU is using dedicated video bus but needs to use external memory, while the dGPU is using the PCIe bus but has dedicated internal memory.   Swings and roundabouts.   

Also remember these are dedicated ASIC chips - the 'bulk' of the dGPU card is never used.    This is actually why for example my GTX1070 has an equal transcoding performance to both your much newer cards.  On your 1650 it can process more because it has more on board memory.   For 3D performance, they would wipe the floor with my GTX1070 but we are not using that part of the silicon.. ;)

You will likely find that I/O limitations come into force, long before your CPU has anything to worry about.

image.thumb.png.33ec5161d25b9a2bbd223fb688114708.png

MKANET

@rbjtechI was actually referring to when the CPU is under heavy load from external processes.  The whole reason why I asked is that my Emby server is hosted on a server that's under a relatively high CPU load throughout the day (aggressive NZB server (heavy I/O), web server ASP.net back-end apps, nginx, etc)

I wanted to know if the CPU is under heavy load from external processes, and how that would affect Plex iGPU transcoding performance.  Note: that the CPU under heavy load, thermal-throttles down from its maximum boost speed of 5.4Ghz.  I don't know if it would still be better to do everything on the i7-13700k or to offload transcoding to the dGPU.

As far as GTX1070 vs. RTX3050 transcoding, doesn't the RTX3050 support more video formats during hardware acceleration than the GTX1070?  The 3050 uses 7th generation NVENC, GTX1070's 6th generation NVENC.  The RTX4050 is 8th gen.

Edited by MKANET

rbjtech
4 hours ago, MKANET said:

@rbjtechI was actually referring to when the CPU is under heavy load from external processes.  The whole reason why I asked is that my Emby server is hosted on a server that's under a relatively high CPU load throughout the day (aggressive NZB server (heavy I/O), web server ASP.net back-end apps, nginx, etc)

I wanted to know if the CPU is under heavy load from external processes, and how that would affect Plex iGPU transcoding performance.  Note: that the CPU under heavy load, thermal-throttles down from its maximum boost speed of 5.4Ghz.  I don't know if it would still be better to do everything on the i7-13700k or to offload transcoding to the dGPU.

As far as GTX1070 vs. RTX3050 transcoding, doesn't the RTX3050 support more video formats during hardware acceleration than the GTX1070?  The 3050 uses 7th generation NVENC, GTX1070's 6th generation NVENC.  The RTX4050 is 8th gen.

Sure, I get you are referring to external processes.  If you are thermally throttling the CPU, then you have an ineffective cooling solution.   You should be able to run all cores at 100% and maintain full performance.  I've no idea of the workload, but to reach all 20 cores at 100% with torrent/web based traffic is extremely unlikely and the network I/O/concurrent connections is going to be your bottleneck.  

I too run 6-8 virtual machines all 'processing' in the background (cctv systems etc) and the CPU doesn't break a sweat.   I think you'll be surprised how much real 'work' these modern CPU's can actually do.  The bottlenecks are rarely the CPU's themselves these days. 

re the comparison of the 1070 vs the 3050 - yes, the newer card can handle more updated profiles, but fundamentally the point was that you are not using any of the 'GTX' 3D parts of the cards, you are just using the 'bolt on' ASICS, the bottleneck here is actually the amount of onboard memory the card has.

In summary, 'try it and see' is the best approach - I'm pretty sure you will not be disappointed in it's performance.

RanmaCanada

Honestly if you're really worried, just get an 11th gen laptop for your emby server.  Yes "it's another machine" but they use so little power it's a joke.  My current system is an i3-1115G4 and it idles at 3 watts and uses maybe 15 MAX when transcoding.  I bought mine with a smashed screen and it cost me $110 or so.  There are similar ones available on fleabay for around the same price, and they will 100% do the job with no problem, and with very little being added to your overall power bill.  People don't realize just how inexpensive these things can be, and just how freaking capable they are.  The great thing about a laptop as a server is you have a built in monitor and keyboard, even with a broken screen.

Heck even a 12th gen 1235u can be had for "cheap" and those things run circles around most desktops.

MKANET
On 3/23/2023 at 7:23 AM, RanmaCanada said:

Honestly if you're really worried, just get an 11th gen laptop for your emby server.  Yes "it's another machine" but they use so little power it's a joke.  My current system is an i3-1115G4 and it idles at 3 watts and uses maybe 15 MAX when transcoding.  I bought mine with a smashed screen and it cost me $110 or so.  There are similar ones available on fleabay for around the same price, and they will 100% do the job with no problem, and with very little being added to your overall power bill.  People don't realize just how inexpensive these things can be, and just how freaking capable they are.  The great thing about a laptop as a server is you have a built in monitor and keyboard, even with a broken screen.

Heck even a 12th gen 1235u can be had for "cheap" and those things run circles around most desktops.

Thanks for the tip.  I would buy a new GPU before I would buy another laptop.

Edited by MKANET