Emby Server Will Not Run

Media1ne

Media1ne

Hello! 

Looking for some assistance with Emby Server on Xpenology on DSM 6.2. Yesterday I was prompted to reboot the server for it had plug in updates that had been applied. I selected the reboot option via the Emby Android app and the server took quite a while and was spinning quite a bit for the reboot. I gave it time and did something else and came back a few hours later and the server was not responding. Logged in to the Synology to restart the package and it was not running, clicked the run button and it would not respond or should I say it would quickly go back to the the run option and not actively run the Emby Server app. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times and still the same issue, I also tried installing two previous versions of Emby server and still the same results. It will not run at all. Logs were not available and I'm kinda at a loss of what to try to resolve this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Mike

Happy2Play

What do you mean Logs were not available?  But since Emby will not start you would have to SSH to the log location.

Media1ne

Can you direct me to the default log location for the Emby logs as I may have tried accessing the wrong location. I was looking under /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/logs but the /var/log location was not present after the /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ directory

Media1ne

I just checked again, the logs folder is not an available directory. I'm not sure if it's not populating because the Emby server app can't fully start but it's not showing up. 

Happy2Play
17 hours ago, Media1ne said:

Can you direct me to the default log location for the Emby logs as I may have tried accessing the wrong location. I was looking under /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/logs but the /var/log location was not present after the /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ directory

Should be like "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/logs".

Media1ne

How would I purge everything to try and start from scratch? It's like something is locking it up. But I'm guessing all that info would be pulled from the logs? 

Happy2Play

Pretty sure you would delete "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/" as that is your programdata location.  But I would delete the dll files in the plugin folder as you mentioned a plugin update started this. /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins

But have no idea how Xpenology differs from regular Synology install.

@cayars

Media1ne

Out of desperation I gave the Emby user account full admin permissions and it still will not run. Since I had the Emby backup plugin, can I just migrate my last backup to a docker installation? I really don't know what else to do...... 

12 hours ago, Media1ne said:

Out of desperation I gave the Emby user account full admin permissions and it still will not run. 

I've never used Xpenology but on DSM 6 you should be able to SSH into the box, go SUDO interactive with "sudo -i" then access Emby at /volume1/Emby/ assuming you installed it on the default volume. The log file directory should be here and available at /volume1/Emby/logs

You mention you have the Emby Configuration Backup Plugin installed.  Assuming you have access to the backup location used, there should be a few subdirectories, one for each day's backup.  See if you can ZIP up a copy of the last backup including all subdirectories. Send me a PM (private message) by hovering over my avatar with this zip archive and the latest embyserver.txt log file you will find using the location mentioned above.

Once I know what version of Emby Server you had installed (from the log file) plus some other basic info in the log file I'll be able to give you some specific instructions to try that hopefully will get Emby back up and running on Xpenology.

Resist making any other changes for now. :)

Thanks,
Carlo

Eigeplackter

TO said emby was un- & reinstalled several times.

i guess the log directory doesnt exist as he‘s not able to start emby initially after install.

Media1ne

Hi Carlo,

Sorry for the delay, it took me a bit to get the info.  I'm not that great with linux command line.  Hopefully this helps with the troubleshooting.

9 hours ago, Media1ne said:

Hi Carlo,

Sorry for the delay, it took me a bit to get the info.  I'm not that great with linux command line.  Hopefully this helps with the troubleshooting.

It looks like you have something triggering a restart over and over but your logs have so many errors it's hard to read.

You have some errors similar to this:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume2/tv/tv_showz/Carnival Row/Season 02/Carnival Row - S02E08 - Facta Non Verba.mkv' is denied.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume2/tv/tv_showz/Godfather of Harlem/Season 03/Godfather of Harlem - S03E08 - Homeland or Death.mkv' is denied.

So you'll want to check or reset permissions on your mount points.  You should probably be able to set this in the GUI itself.  If you can't figure it out, skip that for now and work on the items below.

Let's remove some plugins for now. We can add them back later one at a time.

Trakt
SmtpNotifications
playback_reporting
Anime
CinemaMode
PortMapper
Open Subtitles

Might need to remove a couple others but we can start with these

From the command line using SSH login and do your sudo -i then change directory with this
cd /volume2/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/plugins/

Delete the plugins above and then try restarting Emby

Let us know if Emby stays up after doing that.  Either way PM me the latest embyserver.txt file in the log folder so I can take another look.

Carlo

Media1ne

Ok, looking at the plugin directory, all of those plugin .dll's are not showing either via WinSCP or the terminal.

image.png.c3a065ad068a7b7c0f4101349918c51d.png

So I deleted the ones that did show up, Opensubtitles, Portmapper, and Cinema Mode.

image.png.de5b482964757379c18caf6bbb969759.png

Tried starting Emby again form Package Manager and the app just flashes and it still won' start.  Also, no new logs are showing in the logs folder.  Even after restarting the server same results, it won't run the Emby app.

Happy2Play

Well since this is older DSM aren't the log files in Data path: /volume2/Emby/Logs?

Edited by Happy2Play

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, Media1ne said:

Ok, looking at the plugin directory, all of those plugin .dll's are not showing either via WinSCP or the terminal.

image.png.c3a065ad068a7b7c0f4101349918c51d.png

So I deleted the ones that did show up, Opensubtitles, Portmapper, and Cinema Mode.

image.png.de5b482964757379c18caf6bbb969759.png

Tried starting Emby again form Package Manager and the app just flashes and it still won' start.  Also, no new logs are showing in the logs folder.  Even after restarting the server same results, it won't run the Emby app.

Hi, try looking in /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins.

Don't delete from system/plugins

Media1ne

Hi Luke, 

Emby Server still won't start and I don't have a "/var/plugins" directory in the "/var/packages/EmbyServer" location.  The only folders available in the "/var/packages/EmbyServer" location is the "conf, etc, scripts, and target" folders.  

I really appreciate everyone's effort in helping me to try to resolve this issue, but I believe it's time to close the topic as my build is quite old and this was primarily a Emby Server only and I believe this is just a sign that it's time for me to upgrade.  Xpenology so far has worked great for me but I have been looking at Unraid as a replacement.  I do have backups of my Emby Server configuration so once I upgrade/refresh my hardware I plan to run Emby in docker on Unraid and restore my backup. 

Again, thanks for the support and I may be back for help with restoring my backup if all doesn't go well, but I think it should.  You guys have been great!   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Media1ne

I was able to get Emby Server running in Docker on my Xpenology box and had a successful restore from the Synology Emby Server app that I had backed up.  I'll run this until I can get me a Unraid setup put together.  Thanks again for the support! 

• Thanks 1